Virus listed in Startup MSCONFIG

iqs 18:40 20 Nov 2008

Hi,

A few days ago I was asked to remove a virus from a mates PC.There was popups directing his browser to various web sites.

Ad Aware did not detect any,but Spyware Terminator did.Two were removed.

Checked the running processes in Task Manager,there was a program running that started XXX,then follewed by numbers.

I stopped the process then searched for the file via the search option.
I then deleted it.It was no longer running in Task Manager,cool.

I checked the Start Up folder,it was empty.Then I looked in MSCONFIG.Like the thread title states,a another program that starts XXX was listed.

I stopped the process/virus in MSCONFIG,but it is still listed.Why???

If the antivirus/spyware software can not detect the virus,what is the best procedure for removing it please.

Thank you

Pineman100 18:43 20 Nov 2008

See whether this helps: click here

User-1229748 18:47 20 Nov 2008

if pinemans doesn't cure it download,update and run this

User-1229748 18:47 20 Nov 2008

sorryclick here

User-1229748 18:48 20 Nov 2008

or thisclick here

iqs 19:08 20 Nov 2008

Pineman100 and smackheadz,will give both your suggestions a go,many thanks

DieSse 19:10 20 Nov 2008

Once something gets into the MSConfig startup list, it's possible for it to stay there unless you go into the Registry and remove it.

As long as it's deselected, and so not starting, there's not a problem. This is only a list - the actual program may well have gone, but left it's name in the list. It's name cannot do any damage.

If you want a relatively easy way to clean up all startup commands, and delete items from this list, then this greatly simplifies matters.

click here

iqs 21:16 21 Nov 2008

DieSse

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?