Virus on laptop

pattybg 13:27 20 Jan 2010

Hi

My laptop is unusable due to a virus (I presume) which appeared at the weekend.

I would be grateful for assistance in resolving this. The system is disabled immediately when the desktop loads so I do not know how to investigate this matter myself.

As soon as the laptop is turned on, messages appear telling me that my system is infected and a scan runs telling me it has detected 25 viruses on the system.

Messages prompt me to purchase antivirus software - although the messages appear to be in the same colour / corporate identity as Microsoft (and the Microsoft coloured shield etc) - it is not clear whether this is a message from Microsoft or not and I am suspicisou sthat this may be part of the virus.

In any case I cannot pursue this enquiry to conclusion as the prompts direct me to an online site, but due to the virus I cannot access the internet anyway.

I use AVG 8.5, and Spybot.

Thanks to all who made it to the end of the message. Your advice would be gratefully received.

Technotiger 13:29 20 Jan 2010

Ignore the prompts to buy! Can you start in Safe Mode? If so, try a Sytem Restore back to before this 'virus' appeared.

pattybg 13:46 20 Jan 2010

I will try this tonight.

Is there anything else I should consider - so that I can print out all suggestions whilst at work today?

Thanks

Technotiger 13:52 20 Jan 2010

Also from within Safe Mode run your Anti-everything scans again.

Keeps checking this thread, others here may well come up with other ideas.

Goodluck.

mfletch 18:40 20 Jan 2010

Download this {its free}

SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner click here

Load it onto a usb stick,

Then start the infected computer into safe mode insert the usb stick and run it.

More info click here

Les28 19:46 20 Jan 2010

It's not this piece of scareware is it?

click here

pattybg 13:07 21 Jan 2010

No its not Les28. I haven't seen that before.

I was unaable to get the machine into safemode last night and will try again this evening.

Les28 16:41 21 Jan 2010

If you can't get the laptop to boot into safe mode, maybe you could try an antivirus boot cd which would scan before windows loads, something like

Bit Defender Rescue CD

click here

or F-secure rescue cd

click here

or Kaspersky

click here

What are your restore options in the worst case scenario, restore partition on hard drive, full windows installation disk or manufacturers restore disk?

Is it F8 on your laptop for safe mode, you may have to keep tapping the key repeatedly before windows loads, can be a bit fiddly to get it to boot into safe mode sometimes. Have you had a look in the user manual for your laptop or downloaded the manual from the manufacturers website?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017