Virus on laptop

sky_123 20:12 31 Dec 2006

Hi

The search isn't working so I can't see if there is already a solution to this problem.

I've downloaded some software (Autocad and acrobat)from various sites but somewhere along the line I've got a virus. I keep getting errors saying my internet isn't connected and then get a warning from my AVG that I have a trojon horse LOP AS threat. I heal it but it just comes back.

what can I do to permanently stop this from happening.

thanks

Technotiger 20:14 31 Dec 2006

Hi, how about a System Restore back to before the problem arose?

terryf 20:23 31 Dec 2006

To search go to IE or ff and put in your search words together with pcadvisor forums, this always works better than the forum search box

birdface 20:30 31 Dec 2006

You must have downloaded MSN Plus, Or Msn+3 .Something like that,What you must have is Lop.Com.Its hard to delete it, without harming your computer,So get proper advice, First Check Add Remove to see if it is in there,Then someone will give you advice about getting rid of it,

postie24 20:38 31 Dec 2006

click here
When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".

Start Ewido. When you run it the first time, you get a warning "Database could not be found!". Click OK.

On the main screen, click on Update in the left menu, then click the Start Update button.

After the Update finishes, the status bar at the bottom will display "Update successful

Taff™ 21:00 31 Dec 2006

Adaware &/Or Spybot Search & Destroy will remove it too. Look in Add/Remove Programs and remove any of the search portals listed click here

Now switch off sytem restore and reboot the computer in safe mode and run either (or both) of the above programs. Delete all they find including lop, coolwebsearch etc. Reboot the computer and turn on system restore. Now Create a restore point.

sky_123 16:47 01 Jan 2007

Hi ALl

thanks for your advice. I have followed all and none have worked.
wouldn't let me restore for some unknown reason. Ran both spybot and ewido. Fixed all that they bought up. Had nothing in add/remove programs to remove and I can no longer go to standby (unless I've switched it off somehow)

going to try adaware but still getting the virus warning.

skidzy 17:26 01 Jan 2007

Have you actually installed Messenger plus ?

If so,remove this from add and remove programs.

If you have a variant of the LOP on your system,it can be a job to get rid of all the entries it creates.

Spybot updated and combined with Adaware normally clears this,but you may need more tools.
This download may help click here and click here

birdface 17:28 01 Jan 2007

I have only known it as lop.com,But click here Looks like there are different types,Did it just say Lop or was anything added to it.Now then,Did you find that with your A.V.G.Anti-Virus program,as Trojans are normally known as Spyware,So maybe if you run your AVG Anti-Spyware you may have a better chance of getting rid of it,

birdface 17:41 01 Jan 2007
  sky_123 19:08 01 Jan 2007

Hi

No I haven't installed msn+, msn+3 or messenger plus. I only downloaded windows live about 2 months ago but I've only been getting this warning the last couple of days

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017