Virus infection without executable file?

Richard Madeley 22:51 04 Feb 2004

What other ways can you get a virus?

Most infections seem to be by executing code (.exe) in email attachments or fake p2p files.

Are there any other ways?

...Because Two Trojans have invaded (and been healed by AVG) our PC but no e-mail attachments have been run nor has anything been downloaded.

How do they invade.

XP running.

Do we need a firewall other than the XP one to stop this?

Tried Zone Alarm months ago but it stopped AOL working. Uninstalled it.

Indigo 1 22:59 04 Feb 2004

Virus's can also be spread via discs (floppy AND CD) I've even heard of them coming from them free discs you get with PC magazines.

A firewall will not stop a virus it can only prevent unauthorized access of your PC.

Richard Madeley 23:07 04 Feb 2004

But can they invade via vunerable ports. That was the impression I got of the blaster worm, it attacked without executable files. I may be wrong.

User-312386 23:11 04 Feb 2004

ms-blaster is from page scripting

have you the ms-blaster fix?

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:14 04 Feb 2004

Viruses, worms and Trojans are different items. 'A worm is a type of virus that has an important and specific feature; it does not depend upon any form of human intervention to propagate. Since it can replicate and infect by itself, it is by far the most virulent type of virus, and can infect many millions of computers globally in a matter of hours.
A standard virus will depend on some form of human intervention to propagate, whether this is opening an email attachment, clicking a malicious link, or transferring an infected disk from one machine to another'....you can replace 'worm' with 'trojan'. Viruses can also be spread from macros as well.

'What is a Trojan Horse?

A type of program that is often confused with viruses is a "Trojan horse" program. This is not a virus, but simply a program (often harmful) that pretends to be something else. For example, you might download what you think is a new game; but when you run it, it deletes files on your hard drive. Or, the third time you start the game, the program E-mails your saved passwords to another person.

Note: simply downloading a file to your computer won't activate a virus or Trojan horse; you have to execute the code in the file to trigger it. This could mean running a program file, or opening a Word/Excel document in a program (such as Word or Excel) that can execute any macros in the document'.

Generally it is highly unlikely that any virus will cauuse serious problems to a home computer.

'I've even heard of them coming from them free discs you get with PC magazines'....utter rubbish and not worth commenting on.

G

canard 23:14 04 Feb 2004

There was a warning after My Doom that hackers were searching for ports left open after My Doom had been removed so they could dump trojans on peoples' PCs. Some netbody recorded several thousand of the dialling machines for port probes all going at once and I had VERY persistent tryer until I blocked it in Sygate.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:17 04 Feb 2004

'A firewall will not stop a virus it can only prevent unauthorized access of your PC'....a firewalls hides most of the 65000 ports on a computer. The ports are still there if you know where to look. A firewall would not stop a hacker if they were interested in home computers; as hacking tends to be network password based, home computers contain dull drivel to all but the user, hackers are not interested.

G

Richard Madeley 23:37 04 Feb 2004

So only an up to date virus checker can stop them (as it did in our case)and a firewall won't?

But where did they come from, a web site? Or can they just find vunerable computers and attempt an attack?

Would you recommend a firewall too apart from the Xp one and the AOL one we have? What 3rd party ones work with AOL?

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:55 04 Feb 2004

Worms and trojans can come from websites (Pr0n diallers etc.)or can be downloaded with mail. I don't use a firewall for reasons that have been well-documented but Outpost, from click here (free version), is as good as any and uses little resources. Keep your AV up to date, use Adaware once a fortnight and you will be more than protected.

G

ahales42 00:14 05 Feb 2004

Gandalf. as per usual your talking bull. "Worms and trojans can come from websites (Pr0n diallers etc.)or can be downloaded with mail". Hmmm.When you go online you`re on a website and you`re getting mail.Can you show us how to get online without visiting a website? "Keep your AV up to date". Excellent advice! That will be after the virus comes out? Adaware? Yeah, that will get rid of the tracking cookies. You don`t use a firewall. No wonder there are so many DOS attacks. Get real pal.

Richard Madeley 00:17 05 Feb 2004

AVG has put them in the virus vault inder TROJAN HORSE DOWNLOADERS, is this something like the GAtor program which pops up on websites? We always click cancel.

I just don't understand how they got there without executing code.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017