A Virus I think??

ANDY141062 02:18 07 Jul 2007

I have a home PC that I dowloaded a program too and after opening it( like a burk), I have lost:

1. The Start menu and task bar along the bottom of the screen. (If I press press the windows icon on the keyboard nothing happens)

2. The ability to open internet explorer and outlook express.

3. By digging I have found the restore to an earlier time in widows, but the computer will not let me doo this.

If someone can please help with some advise. Is there an anti-virus program I can buy that runs from the disk and removes viruses?

Does anyone have any idea how I can get into outlook express to retrieve my address book?? and e-mail history

I think the only solution open to me at present is to reformat the hard disk and loose all the data.

I would be really grateful for some advise

brundle 03:23 07 Jul 2007

What program was it, what antivirus do you have already (you /do/ have AV already don't you)?. Sounds like something is causing Explorer.exe to crash. Hit F8 repeatedly when you switch the PC on, before you see the boot logo, select Safe Mode With Networking, if you can access anything do an AV update and a full scan, download a couple of anti-spyware apps and install/update/scan. Try Spybot & SuperAntispyware to be going on with; click here

I am assuming you have XP, as you mention system restore.

birdface 06:56 07 Jul 2007

If you press Control. Alt. and Delete. at the same time it should take you into Task Manager.Under proccesses it will tell you if explorer.exe is running.If not it can be added in,But not sure how you do it.Will leave it for someone else to explain.

Sea Urchin 11:49 07 Jul 2007

Check that you have not hidden the taskbar.
Click Start, point to Settings and click Taskbar & Start Menu - check that the Auto hide box is not ticked.

Kingfisher 12:53 07 Jul 2007

Try starting in safe mode by pressing f8 when pc is booting up, then click on "last known good configuration" and see if that works
good luck ANDY141062

mfletch 19:24 07 Jul 2007

Hi If the safe mode option does not work have you got a friend who can download Superantispyware to a disc or usb stick then download it to your computer,

Also if you have Norton security this will stop you doing a system restore, you will have to disable it to do one {DISCONECT FROM INTERNET FIRST},

hope this helps you,

mfletch,

p;3 19:48 07 Jul 2007

it might help if you can recall the name of the program that has caused such a mess for you

what protection DO you have on board and what WILL it allow you to run?

ANDY141062 02:48 08 Jul 2007

I downloaded a program from a file sharing site called winwasher. I already had this program but this was a newer version. I ran this and all seemed ok until I restarted the computer.

It was then that the start button, menu and task bar were gone. Also access to the internet was disabled.

I tried via windows explorer to restore to an earlier time to put right the wrongs but the computer will not allow this.

My anti virus program was Avast 4.7 and Comodo was the firewall. I also have spybot search and destroy and Adaware. I have run all these programs but they have not found or removed anything that has fixed the problem.

So, without the strart button and menu I am stuck.

As I said previously I kinow I was a Burk, but any more advise??

brundle 03:37 08 Jul 2007

This one? click here
`Not tested on XP`....do an in place repair ;

click here

p;3 07:44 08 Jul 2007

are you using another computer for this forum ? as this is p2p file sharing rubbish , MY suggestion would be to go to

click here get registered there by

click here

grab HJT from this link
click here

'Save it to your desktop and then double-click to run it.
It will install the program in c:\program files\HijackThis.
Browse to that location with windows explorer, and double click on the HijackThis.exe program to run. Chose the 'Do a system scan and save a logfile'
That will allow you to save the log to the desktop (or some other place) and leave open a notepad file with the HijackThis log in it. '

and copy and paste the log into a new thread

click here

and please note the contents of

click here
BUT the log needs to be grabbed from the infected comp of course

do you have a USB stick or sumunt to transfer data from the one to the other so you can speak with the forums?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?