virus help.pleeeeese

fire 22:37 20 Jul 2009

hi i have an acer laptop aspire series and have recently had problems where it was opening 60 webpages on its own. i downloaded avg and deleted infected files but now i get my desktop up but no icons and i can do nothing. i have tried to boot into safe mode but with no success and i believe that my HD is partitioned with acer help softwaare which i need to reformat the drive. can anybody help me with this......many thanks

Devil Fish 23:17 20 Jul 2009

have you got a show desktop icon in your quick launch bar if so try it that may be the problem

fire 23:23 20 Jul 2009

no nothing at all on desktop....definitely problem with virus

dunc1234 15:52 22 Jul 2009

you need the recovery disks to start the recovery/format and re-install process. If your really lucky you may be able to start this manually.
as soon as you turn on the pc hold down the Alt key and keep tapping the F10 key. that might start auto recovery. if that fails you need to get hold of a genuine xp/vista disk, stick it in pc and restart and get it to boot from disk, note you will loose all your data, drivers, passwords etc.

rawprawn 16:05 22 Jul 2009

Which OS are you using & Can you get to Start> Run

fire 22:59 22 Jul 2009

im running xp and cant get to start -run....unfortunately

birdface 23:12 22 Jul 2009

Press the windows icon on the keyboard and that should open the start menu.Or Ctrl Alt Delete that should open Task Manager.

rawprawn 08:09 23 Jul 2009

Can you borrow an XP CD and boot from that or do a repair.
click here
All options are here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017