Virus help required

pattybg 10:02 11 Feb 2008

Hi

Would be grateful for some pointers.

It would appear that my yahoo email address has been infiltrated by some sort of virus.

I have had two emails sent under my name to every contact in my address book encouraging the recipient (in very pidgeon English) to access a webpage selling electrical goods.

Its embaressing as the list contains, friends, family, business and professional contacts etc

How can I make my email account safer and get rid of the bug that appears to be sitting there.

Spybot? ... not particularly proficient in PC matters so help and advice would be appreciated.

Regards

rawprawn 10:57 11 Feb 2008

Have you scanned with your AntiVirus program, and what is it? also if it finds a virus what is it called?

pattybg 11:18 11 Feb 2008

I have scanned with Yahoo AntiSpy and found 37 tracking cookies which I have deleted but which I have been told would be harmless anyway.

I'm just about to try and run a Spybot Search& Destry scan also but haven't managed to identify anything more untoward than the cookies yet.

crosstrainer 11:20 11 Feb 2008

click here

Install the free version, update it and then run it in safe mode (tap the F8 key as your pc boots up)

rawprawn 11:40 11 Feb 2008

I mean your Anti Virus Program, not a Spyware program. Do you have one ? For example NOD32 or Avast?

pattybg 12:25 11 Feb 2008

Mmhm - no anti virus program apart from the in built security with Microsoft Security Center. Is that the moral of the story?

I was told that the Microsoft security center was adequate however, is this not the case?

Also I have now completed the SuperAntiSpyware scan.

Despite the yahoo scan earlier detecting 37 tracking cookies which were duly deleted, the SuperAntiSpyware has so far located a further
79 Adware.Tracking cookies, 1 Adware.Starware, and 17 MyWay Search Assistant Computers. I must admit I don't know what these are apart from cookies. Are they potentially problematic are not?

VoG II 13:28 11 Feb 2008

I suggest that you download, update and run this click here

rawprawn 13:57 11 Feb 2008

Follow the advice from VoG™, you need an Antivirus running all the time on your computer,
the secuity centre will not do the job.
AVG (When you have downloaded and run it) should fix it. If you have further problems post back.
The Adware and tracking cookies etc that SAS found are not in themselves danderous, but much better deleted as you have done. A Virus is a different thing.

pattybg 15:51 11 Feb 2008

I have installed AVG.

The result of the scan is that No Threat was Detected.

Is it worth running Spybot S&D or have I now already superceded that level of security?

babybell 15:58 11 Feb 2008

Every little helps, i have found sometimes that one programme wont find anything but another will. Better to be safe than sorry, so run Spybot, you never know. As for Windows Security center, the only thing this provides is a firewall NOT an Anti Virus so you need to have a Anti Virus installed as well.

rdave13 16:00 11 Feb 2008

Change your password for the account, might be compromised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone