Virus help please

woowoowoo 16:03 04 Oct 2008

Hi please help, I have a new laptop and have just turned it on and find the message that i have 3 viruses and to click to remove all. When I click to remove I get a message 'file download security warning' for a file that wants to download from onlineprivatescan.com, file name A9installer. Now I dont know what this site is. Also I have an icon on my desktop 'babylon', which I didnt put on. I do share the laptop with other family members.
My question is what should I do really? I have AVG on my laptop and am running a scan. Any suggestions please please please help.
Thanks

User-1229748 16:08 04 Oct 2008
  User-1229748 16:10 04 Oct 2008

if no good tryclick here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:13 04 Oct 2008

DO NOT download anything

If the message is from anything other than your known Antivirus package (AVG) then you have a rouge spyware / virus on your machine.

Scan with AVG and let it delete anything it finds.
reboot and see if AVG has got rid of it (no more messages) if not then reboot into safemode and rescan with AVG. reboot and retry.
if still no good then repost here for further help.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:15 04 Oct 2008

No antivirus/firewall will stop a file that you have (inadvertantly) agreed to download. SAS or Malwarebytes should get rid of the infection and are both free.

G

woowoowoo 16:29 04 Oct 2008

Hi - thanks guys, as I thought, am running a scan now and it has picked up the A9 thing and am downloading SAS to run that - will let you know how I get on.

provider 2 16:32 04 Oct 2008

I`ve no idea what privateonlinescan may be but this is the definition for Babylon from ProcessLibrary:

Description babylon.exe belongs to the Babylon Translator software. It provides you with an easy way to get instant translations and information for selected words.

User-1229748 16:38 04 Oct 2008

this is what i readclick here

provider 2 17:01 04 Oct 2008

Source may be MySpace, apparently:

click here

woowoowoo 14:02 06 Oct 2008

Thanks for your advice - everything seems fine now

provider 2 14:08 06 Oct 2008

woowoowoo,

I hope so but according to this the A9installer is associated with Antivirus 2008. If so it will definitely be back sooner rather than later and you will need MalwareBytes Anti-Malware removal tool to get rid of it.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?