virus help needed

shauny36 11:13 01 Dec 2006

i think i have a virus coz after my partner had been on the internet my pc it crashed and when i rebooted it came up with ntldr is missing then after she had been on the internet on the laptop the exact same thing happend and after she went on her friends pc the same thing happend again.

when the pc crashed it was running norton antivirus and also crashed when using norton to scan for viruses.

so can anyone recomend what to do, also can i scan for viruses before it boots up and how do i know if the virus is gone.

bof:) 11:59 01 Dec 2006

Hi Shauny36, see this posting to begin with:

click here

mike

bof:) 12:15 01 Dec 2006

If your friends pc is on a different internet connection it may be the website your partner is visiting that may cause the problem.

Also make sure you have not got a floppy disk in your 'A' drive when you boot up.

Once PC is starting up, try starting in 'Safe Mode' and running Nortons.

To get into Safe Mode, keep pressing the F8 button after you hear the 1st beep when your PC starts up. You should see a black page with a list on it. Using the up/down buttons go to Safe Mode and press enter. You will then see loads of numbers run up the page (this is normal) wait for this to finish.

You will know you are in safe Mode because it will say so in each corner of the scree. Also your icons will look different.

Go to Nortons antivirus, make sure its set to scan all files and run it.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?