Virus help

gimbal 09:27 09 Jan 2003
  gimbal 09:27 09 Jan 2003

My daughter-in-law phoned last night to say that she can't access her data or C drive (illegal operation) and that when she runs AVG (not updated for about 4 weeks) it crashes half way through. She also has noticed above Programmes in the start menu a entry Live XXX PICS below Windows Update and she said her ISP has been blocked in IExplorer but Outlook Express opens and also can get online. When she clicks on Live Pics it askes for a Pin number. No, she has no backup despite dire warnings from me and expects me to go armed with all the tools to "get rid of this nuisance". Is there any way to try and clean her system enough to save some data then do a reformat/installation. WIN98SE, 1.2ATHLON, GA-71XE4 MoBo. Office 2000 Pro but does not use Outlook for email.

powerless 10:02 09 Jan 2003

Well ok...I Dont have dealings with AVG so i dont know how to use the program etc.

When your computer starts up keep tapping the F8 key. You will be presented with a dull menu. Select option 3 which is safe mode.

Press enter.

When you enter safe mode it will look funny and very basic.

Now go to the control panel and go to add/remove programs and see if there is anything tyat looks like LIVE XXX pics. Remove it...

Now open up internet Explorer and go to Tools > Internet options... > Under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete files" > Then click ok.

I got to go out now, sorry to cut it short but hopefully that will help.

powerless 10:03 09 Jan 2003

Whilst in safe mode run AVG.

Also have a look at these, click here click here click here

siarad 10:20 09 Jan 2003

You need to make a set of floppies, probably 2, of AVG from a clean PC & boot to run from them. Every-one using AVG should have these.

gimbal 10:35 09 Jan 2003

Thanks for the links. I told her to do just that but she is not not very good or interested in following basic computer instructions. She is one heck of a driver though :¬). Will have to drive up to her house and try to sort it out. Will leave thread open for a while. It irks me because they flew off to Lanzarote early this morning.

gimbal 10:39 09 Jan 2003

I have rescue floppies from XP Home but not sure if they will do the job. Apologies, I missed your post when replying to Powerless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?