Virus Help

babybell 10:34 30 Sep 2008

My sister has complained that she can no longer get on the internet so I took a look at her laptop for her. I ran Spybot S&D and it found a list of virus' as long as my arm, Trojans mainly but lots of other stuff too. I used AVG 8 in safe mode as well and it said it had found 1 trojan and removed it (I performed all the above with System Restore switched off as well) When i restarted the laptop normally and connected to the internet, pop ups gallore filled my screen and then it crashed. When I ran AVG next it still found some trojans. Anyone know what else I can do other than what I've tried above. Thanx

rawprawn 10:39 30 Sep 2008
  Taff™ 10:44 30 Sep 2008

Try A squared free click here also Malwarebytes click here Also remove any toolbars that are used in IE from Internet Explorer.

babybell 13:13 01 Oct 2008

I tried SuperAntiSpyware in safe mode and it found a lot more infections. However it said i needed to restart my pc to complete the removal but of course it then restarts in normal windows mode and doesnt seem to finish the process, there was no log or anything. I ran it in normal mode and restarted in normal mode and it worked that time, but when i restarted the pc again, it found more virus's?

Taff™ 08:46 02 Oct 2008

Which suggests the virus is in memory at boot up and reloading each time. I haven`t used AVG for several years now, preferring Avast which has an option to scan at boot before Windows loads. You could remove AVG and install Avast from click here When you install in it gives the option to do this. I suggest that if it finds anything in memory you should note the name of the file and choose the option to "Move to Chest". If that fails "Rename" and as a final resort "Delete".

Have you run Malwarebytes yet?

babybell 09:13 02 Oct 2008

Thanks for that Taff, I will try that.

Yes I ran Malwarebytes and it found a trojan but it was late last night so I'm yet to see if it works. I will try Avast though and see if that helps.

tullie 09:55 02 Oct 2008

Just curious as to what antivirus and firewall software was allready on the computer?

babybell 12:50 02 Oct 2008

Absolutely nothing, even Windows firewall was switched off! Incredible that the thing is still going really!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie