Virus on a friends desktop pc, help required pls!!

julius44 15:27 21 Jul 2010

Hello i'm about to leave for a friends place in about 2 hours, she has a dell desktop pc, running windows xp, purchased in 2006. She's a teacher, so she needs her home pc as well. She rang me last weeks that its really been slow, and she gets some messages on the screen....it seems to be still infected. She states that she can still log onto the internet with it...but the pop up messages keep coming up. I have downloaded, malware bytes, and a trial version of kaspersky internet security 2011, onto my usb pen drive, that i'll install on the pc for her.
Here is my question though.....should i log onto the desktop normally first and install the anti-virus software.(if it lets me)..OR log in via safe mode or with networking...not sure which one to use,.....and then install the software, and then scan the pc....but if install it in safe mode, will it still work please??? if someone can get back to me asap, that would be much appreciated

rdave13 15:46 21 Jul 2010

One tool I'd download and save to my flash drive is SAS portable. Start the PC in safemode (without internet connection) and run a full scan. click here
Reboot to normal mode and run malwarebytes. Good for starters as we don't know what malware it is.

recap 17:34 21 Jul 2010

Once the virus has been cleared, give the system a clean out. By this I mean the temp, temp internet files, any old files that are bloating the system, backing them up to and eternal drive first. Remember to empty the recycle bin.

Belatucadrus 17:49 21 Jul 2010

Another couple of freebies that can be run from a USB stick:-
Dr Web click here=
Norman Malware cleaner click here

Woolwell 22:40 21 Jul 2010

Don't run 2 anti-virus programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?