Virus found in email

rawprawn 07:21 08 Sep 2003

I received two emails this morning and AVG warned me that one contained a virus., but didn't tell me which. They were from EBay & MDaemon@technics.net so I suspect the latter. This posting is just a warning, & to see if others have had this. I deleted both emails to be on the safe side.

Wes Tam ;-) 07:25 08 Sep 2003

rawprawn if you use Mailwasher ( free from click here ) you can preview your e-mail before downloading it - giving you the chance to delete all 'dodgy' e-mail.

Tog 07:42 08 Sep 2003

Don't assume that a good addressee means the email is OK. I've had a few arrive from supposed good sources that my AV has shredded. The morons that produce this stuff are getting sly.

Jester2K II 08:29 08 Sep 2003

MDaemon = Mailer Daemon

Anything coming from these sort of addresses

i.e.

postmaster @ here .com
mailer-daemon @ there .com
mdaemon@everywhere . com

are usually Bounced messages.

It looks similar to the messages i get.

Someone has my e-mail address in there address book. They also have the SoBig virus and it's sending out copies of the virus using my e-mail address as the return address.

So i get all the bounced messages saying "You sent a virus too us" etc When I didn't

Even worse is some of the Mail Server return the attachment (virus) too!!

It looks like this is what you might be getting.

rawprawn 09:21 08 Sep 2003

I was unable to find a way to "erase" or shred the emails, so I just deleted them unopened, is that OK, I am using AVG & it told me I had a virus in an email but there doesn't seem to be a way to distinguish which email ( I received 2) or to isolate and shred any detected virus. I ran a full system scan before & after deleting & found nothing.

rawprawn 09:23 08 Sep 2003

I have mailwasher, but I get so few emails I hardly ever use it,but from now on !!! Thanks any way to all.

Nosmas 09:34 08 Sep 2003

Fortunately although I have AVG, I have never received a virus via an email. I would have thought however that AVG would have notified you immediately it had scanned th incoming email. Are you sure that the box entitled "Use Outlook Express 5 Plugin" on the E-mail Scanner tab of AVG Control Centre is checked (ticked)? Or did your warning message display after running a Complete Test of your system?

rawprawn 12:29 08 Sep 2003

My email scanner is ticked & if I open it, It says no other action is needed. I am running Outlook not Otlook Express. AVG notified me that there was a virus as I downloaded, but when I pressed OK (no other alternative) It just closed the box. Then without opening the Email I did a complete scan & it found nothing so I deleted both emails.

Belatucadrus 12:37 08 Sep 2003

It could be a Heuristic false alarm, when I was using AVG it regularly threw up a warning when I received the Novatech newsletter and avast isn't too keen on Freeserve circulars.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone