VIRUS found on a CD - advice pls?

AngeTheHippy 10:55 23 Aug 2005

Morning Chaps,
Had a hell of a day yesterday - first I couldn't log into PCA, then when AVG performing daily PC scan it found a viris infection - Java/OpenStream. AVG could neither heal, kill off or put into vault. Anyway, I believe I've rid the PC of the little b*****d now, it took me all day. I've just been looking at a CD I use for backups (not very very important ones though,) and again AVG flagged a Virus, with the same no choices, couldn't heal, kill or put in vault. What I need to know is, can this virus migrate from the CD-r onto my PC? I can't even delete the file on the CD-r, but would like to save **some** of the stuff on it, so copying that stuff onto my HDD - would this be OK?

AngeTheHippy
xx

mattyc_92 10:57 23 Aug 2005

As long as you don't open or copy the virus infected file(s), you will be OK.

johnnyrocker 10:57 23 Aug 2005

i suspect that unless you can identify where this is hidden you will very likely transfer it across.

johnny.

AngeTheHippy 11:06 23 Aug 2005

made me feel a bit better; johnnyrocker, AVG told me EXACTLY where the virus was located on the CD. There are about 5 items in this infected folder, so maybe as long as I don't open any of 5 items it won't give me trouble. Damn neusance though...

AngeTheHippy
x

AngeTheHippy 11:23 23 Aug 2005

and nothing was found. Problem still remain though, whether it's safe to transfer some of the other stuff on the CD over to HDD .... Oh, just had a thought - If I put the CD back into drive, then do a selective scan of just that drive, would that be safe?

AngeTheHippy
x

johnnyrocker 11:30 23 Aug 2005

would have thought so, as you know where the virus is i would think safe to transfer other items but none in the infected one, as a thought you could try an on line scan at either the symantec or trendmicro sites and with a bit of luck get on line scan and heal

johnny.

AngeTheHippy 11:36 23 Aug 2005

trendmicros - their site was of great help yesterday - using their 30-day trial version of scanner. I like it. Won't touch Symantec though - that's why I moved over to AVG cos I just didn't get on with 'em.

Will give that CD a selective scan though, and see what it flags up.

Thanks

AngeTheHippy
x

AngeTheHippy 11:45 23 Aug 2005

and the virus if DIFINITELY in the specific folder - the AVG scan result log says: Object: \MyDocs\Opera751.zip (this is the Opera browser s/w); Results: Trojan Horse Downloader.Small.7AG; Status: Infected, embedded object.

So as LONG as I don't open anything in that follder, all should be OK?

AngeTheHippy
x

Completealias 13:01 23 Aug 2005

I have had a cd that was infected before I copied off the files I needed but left the infected folder well alone, you should be ok doing this.

Once you have copied accross give the folder a scan just to be extra sure I'm sure it i'll be fine but I tend to scan twice just to be on the safe side.

DieSse 14:04 23 Aug 2005

A virus inside a zip file can't affect you unless you unzip it.

It is just possible it's a false positive (ie not actually a virus - AVG just thinks it is) - especially if you got the heuristic checking in AVG turned up to maximum.

You could do a recheck if you need to, by downloading the file again and retesting it.

If you want to make the file inaccessible on the CD - if it's still open, you can copy an inocuous file onto it, giving it the same name as the suspect file - when prompted to Overwrite, say YES. It won't erase the file, but it should make it inaccessible.

Diemmess 15:20 23 Aug 2005

.... those on the CD?

Make a careful written (yes pencil and paper) note of all suspicious files and their folder/s.

Copy selectively any files you DO want to a new folder on your HD.

As Diesse said, open nothing..... Then remove the CD, run all/any AV checks on what is now on your HD in that new folder, and if all seems clean, burn a new CD of that HD folder, and bin the original CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?