Virus encyclopeadia ?

curlylad 01:23 10 Oct 2003

Hi folks , I've just downloaded and tried the free AVG antivirus , and after running it for the first time it found a virus.The name of this virus was EICAR_Test , the AVG successfully removed it , problem over but I'm curious and want to know if there is some sort of on-line encyclopeadia of viruses telling you what they are and what they do or destroy , is there such a site that provides this service?

Djohn 01:30 10 Oct 2003

click here Try this one there is a linking the left of the page to all virus in alphabetical order. j.

curlylad 01:51 10 Oct 2003

Tanx for trying Djohn but I dont happen to be able to read/understand Spanish !

Djohn 01:59 10 Oct 2003

Don't understand! I've checked the link and it's in english. j.

curlylad 02:05 10 Oct 2003

Djohn When I clicked the link you provided it showed me the virus list/encyclopeadia , but the description of the virus I viewed was in Spanish.Strange but true!

Djohn 02:09 10 Oct 2003

click here Give this one a try, just checked the virus links and they are in english, ;o)

Jester2K II 07:56 10 Oct 2003

Sophos - click here

EICAR_Test is a test file. Its not a virus and only displays a message when you.

More details here click here

Overview - AV vendors decided to make a file that their products would class as a virus and treat as a virus but wasn't one. This was so AV could be tested in a "real world" situation but without the dangers of having a virus on the PC. Companies can show staff what happens when their AV detects a Virus, if your system crashes you can check it still working OK by using the EICAR file.

See also this thread click here

bowman 08:05 10 Oct 2003

Also maybe worth a read:

Learn about com­puter virus myths, hoaxes, urban legends, hys­teria............

click here

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone