Virus Dropper.inor & I-worm-sober q. Advice Please

AngeTheHippy 12:05 24 Nov 2006

Morning chaps,
Currently house sitting for second son. His PC is INFECTED with the above named threats. Typically, his Norton AV is well out of date. I've installed AVG, but of course, it won't install the updates. I'm currently doing a Trend Micros online scan, just to see whether it will be able to remove these virii (or Virusses!!)

Please can I have some advice on these, I don't know what to do for the best. He did mention before he went away that there are Virus on this PC, so he's aware of it...

Thanks a lot,
AngeTheHippy - currently-somewhere-in-the-Chilterns

xx

Jackcoms 12:10 24 Nov 2006

"Typically, his Norton AV is well out of date. I've installed AVG"

You did un-install Norton before installing AVG, didn't you?

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:12 24 Nov 2006

Do a scan in safe mode and run AVG antispy click here. This should clear the computer. You will need to delete all the restore points when all is running well.

G

birdface 12:24 24 Nov 2006

Once you have cleared it,Get a good Firewall. click here have just started using it myself, Have tried a few, But this one seems to be the easiest one and best one so far,You get a months free trial, And after that if you dont want to pay for it ,it automatically turns into a free version,If you do download it, Do not use the advanced part.Gets very complicated , Ok if you know what you are doing,Just dot the other circle,

AngeTheHippy 12:49 24 Nov 2006

Trend Micro scan still scanning. 1/2 hour left apparently...

Anyway, just had a thought. As I said, AVG can't update latest virus defs, but I've bought my laptop with me which IS AVG current. I've got one of those USB pen drives - would it A) be possible to copy latest definitions from my laptop and install on this PC, and B) could THIS PC infect the USB pen drive?

Thanks
AngeTheHippy
xx

birdface 12:56 24 Nov 2006

i-worm-sober q is e-mail problem,click here

birdface 13:40 24 Nov 2006

Or any of them,click here

birdface 13:50 24 Nov 2006

this may help.click here

birdface 13:57 24 Nov 2006

Bit of luck Trend Micro Will get rid of it, But nothing worse than when you get to the end of scan,Box pops up and says, This program will need to close now.Then you are none the wiser.Dont know why AVG does not up-date,And sorry cant help you with the laptop fix.

AngeTheHippy 14:24 24 Nov 2006

Funny - browser did exactly as you said! It closed!!
Anyway, I managed to put all in AVG vault, am doing another scan but already it's found them again (probably replicate themselves elsewhere on PC...). I think the reason AVG isn't updating, is because a bit of code is included in the virus to STOP anything that could kill them off!! Clever, and damned annoying when ya think it's probably 12 year-olds that are writing these virus!!

Will keep trying..

Ange
x

birdface 14:41 24 Nov 2006

You used to be able to download free 6 month trial Anti Virus programs on Microsoft, But cant find them anymore.Hope you get it sorted.You could try, click here And just run the full Service scan,But that takes ages as well,Also does a defrag,Gets rid of temporary folders,Cleans out the registry,Scans for virus's + Spyware .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone