Virus CPU usage 98%+

Alan-Petrie 19:24 23 Dec 2008

Out of the blue my computer has had a massive slow down.

Cpu is always at 98% or above with 1gb ram used. (this is before the scans were started)

I think it may be a virus as all programs and windows boot up but just at a much slower pace.

Currently I am doing the following

Checking for unusual processes in Task Manager
Runing Norton 2008 virus scan
Running spy swepper 2008
Using Ccleaner

Does anyone else have any other suggestion or ideas for what may have caused the slow down.

Thanks Alan.

User-1229748 19:26 23 Dec 2008

download update and runclick here

User-1229748 19:30 23 Dec 2008

also if malwarebytes doesn't sort it try sasclick here

Technotiger 19:34 23 Dec 2008

What %'s are shown in Task Manager for what processes.

birdface 19:34 23 Dec 2008

Virus CPU usage 98%+ . So what program is using the CPU. If nothing running System Idle process should be showing about 97% what else is using the CPU.

Alan-Petrie 19:44 23 Dec 2008

the performence tab shows cpu usage at 98% yet the process tab shows the idle process at around 60%-90%.

However everything is very sluggish with even simple tasks like maximizing a window taking a few seconds to complete.

birdface 10:53 24 Dec 2008

So what programs are using the CPU apart from system Idle process.Anything using more than 10%.You will probably find it is Norton doing Updates.Now I have the same sort of problem when opening pages.AVG.A Squared and Kerio Firewall all jump in and use up the CPU it's a bit of a nuisance but they are only doing the job that you put them there for.Just added more Memory hoping that would help.But not a lot of difference.I have an oldish computer so have to expect a bit of a slowdown.If you can let us know what programs are using up the CPU we will be able to let you know if they are legit programs or not.Maybe download and run Winaso Optimizer free.It will only repair 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you like.click here

birdface 10:57 24 Dec 2008

Maybe check that you are getting the proper download speed.click here As a last resort I would download the Norton removal tool and remove Norton.Then run C Cleaner and then reinstall Norton and see if that helps.

Alan-Petrie 11:12 24 Dec 2008

norton spy sweeper and malwarebytes all found nothing yet the slowdown continues

System idle process is still 80% ruffly
taskmgr.exe is about 5%
dwn.exe is about 4%
spysweeper is about 4%
LuCallbackProxy is flashing all over the list at anywhere between 1-10%

Would advanced system care do the same job as Winaso

Thanks Alan

User-1229748 11:19 24 Dec 2008

then it looks like norton is your problem,uninstall it and use a light free anti virus.

Alan-Petrie 11:22 24 Dec 2008

will do.
I'll post my findings on the forum.

Thanks Again Alan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone