Virus can't be removed

Throbber 10:17 27 Sep 2005

My McAfee virus scanner [up to date] has detected a virus "The file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wininet.dll is infected by the W32/Alemod.e.dll virus and cannot be cleaned"

McAfee can't clean, quarantine or delete the infected file. Anyone know how to kill it?

Throbber 10:40 27 Sep 2005

Same as above applies to trojan found which McAfee can't get rid of.
"The file C:\WINDOWS\system32\hp8F86.tmp is infected by the Puper.dll trojan and cannot be cleaned."
I deleted this file manually, but it reappeared on restart.
Anyone know how to kill it?

MAJ 10:44 27 Sep 2005

Rename the infected wininet.dll to wininet.old and Windows should replace it with a new version. If it isn't replaced then copy a new wininet.dll file from C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. If all is well you can then delete the wininet.old file (from Safe Mode, if necessary).

**Note** I have assumed you're using Windows XP, as you didn't say which OS you're using.

MAJ 10:46 27 Sep 2005

To avoid confusion it's better if you start your own thread. Don't forget to state your Operating System.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:03 27 Sep 2005

1. to prevent virus returning on restart you need to scan and clean/delete with system restore switched off.

2. try scanning in safe mode thi may allow the file to be deleted.

Throbber 11:03 27 Sep 2005

Thanks, MAJ, your fix seems to have sorted the virus. I'll take your advice and start another thread for the trojan {remembering this time to state my OS!]

MAJ 11:09 27 Sep 2005

That was my mistake (still half asleep) I thought someone else was butting in on your thread.

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ has said, you now need to turn off system restore to delete any infected restore points, then re-scan to make sure the virus is gone, if the scan is clear, re-activate system restore to create a new clean restore point.

Once again, apologies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?