Virus on brand new PC - help please !

Daibus 10:46 11 Jun 2008

Yesterday I spent the day setting up from scratch, a friend's new PC including the ADSL connection, and all was working fine when I left him last night.

However this morning he phoned me to say that it looks as though the PC has a virus as nothing loads and it keeps on switching off. I installed Avast anti-virus as well as ZoneAlarm firewall but he tells me that he is unable to access any of these programmes as even the desktop will not boot up. The OS is Vista premium.

Any help would be much appreciated.

crosstrainer 10:50 11 Jun 2008

Sounds more like a hardware fault to me.

Can he start the computer in safe mode?

Tap the F8 key whilst booting, then restore system to previous state using system restore.

Daibus 11:02 11 Jun 2008

Thank you for your reply but he says that when he switches the PC on the desktop is blank, with no icons and it tries to load something that he hasn't heard of, and last night he said the machine was getting very slow.

I thought it sounded like a virus problem.

crosstrainer 11:04 11 Jun 2008

Try the system restore in safe mode as per my first post.

This will allow him to restore the machine to a time prior to whatever is causing the problem was installed.

This sounds as if I'm barking, but, tell him to make sure all the cables are connected properly and fully home including all electrical plugs.

crosstrainer 11:21 11 Jun 2008

Not barking, sensible, but I think whats happened is theat an errant bit of software or a driver is causing the issue.

System restore should help him out.

Daibus 11:34 11 Jun 2008

Advice passed on.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?