Is this a virus: automatic internet connection???

raytriplej 10:25 30 Oct 2003

Hi, anyone out there.... I have a virus I think which I have had for about 2 mths (didn't realise it was a virus - thought it was just phone company) anyway I also got the worm blaster virus which I have deleted but am still stuck with this one - every time I turn the computer on the computer tries to automatically dial up to the intenet itself, even if I haven't connected it to phone line or try and connect myself. If I press cancel straight away it goes away for 30 sec but does it again and again etc.. after a number of tmes cancelling it it goes through the motions anyway and then the computer starts to freeze and I have to turn it off...Any ideas how I can rid this short of paying hundreds at the computer shop...Thanks Ray

Belatucadrus 11:07 30 Oct 2003

You don't mention what if any anti virus you have, so I'm assuming none. Install and run the following:- avast! anti virus click here and Spybot S&D spyware killer click here That should clear out any virii that you have left, plus any spyware. (If you do have anti virus, don't stick avast! on top. Two AV progs isn't a good idea.)

Then add a firewall like Outpost click here this gives you more control of what your PC does when online.

You say you deleted Blaster, did you install the security patch aswell ? if not it'll just come back click here .

Djohn 11:07 30 Oct 2003

If your using IE, [Internet Explorer]. Click on tools/internet Options, then the "Connections" tab. Place a tick in the box, "Never dial a connection".

This way your browser will attempt to dial out only when you click on it to do so. It may be set at the moment to, "Dial whenever a connection is not present" then look on the same tab to make sure that your ISP is in the dial window and set to default connection.

Ian-260383 11:26 30 Oct 2003

Dunno about a virus ,more likely you dwnlded some piece of freeware which tries to get on the net when you startup.Use task manager to see what's running ,use restore xp

petersmyth1 11:53 30 Oct 2003

This works on Wins 98 so give it a try and see, you've nothing to lose. Open IE, then Tools, Internet options, Connections and make sure never dial a connection is ticked. Now open My Computer, Open Dial-up-Networking and drag your default connection Icon to your Task Bar, Links Bar, Quick Launch bar or whatever you call yours which if it is like mine is at the bottom of the screen. Now whenever you want to go online you just click that icon and the dial up box appears. This is very handy it means you can finish off whatever you?re doing on any page while actually getting connected.

Belatucadrus 14:00 30 Oct 2003

If it's not a virus, it could be something trying an automatic update, use run, MSCONFIG and have a look at what is being activated at startup.

telspatch 14:08 30 Oct 2003

click here
You might also like to run the above FREE Trojan and Bot remover. Kills at least 4000 known trojans etc.

raytriplej 09:15 31 Oct 2003

Thanks all you posted, tried all the thnigs mentioned, problem is fixed Cheers R.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?