VIRUS ATTACK! a record?

igr 18:36 23 Mar 2004

Today AVG has intercepted 86 emails containing the Netsky.* virus in attachments with various names including mine. Is this a record?

I recognise some of the alleged senders but few if any are in my address book - but what can I do to stop this? if anything?

ade.h 18:49 23 Mar 2004

Just be glad that AVG is obviously doing its job. For the future, if and when you next change your email address, make it something a bit more obscure, like [email protected] (for v, use a middle intial or something). I find this layout really cuts the spam and viruses to almost nil, provided you are careful about privacy policies and persuade friends with your address in the contacts to get AVG or similar.

ade.h 18:54 23 Mar 2004

Set Outlook Express message rules to bounce any emails without your name or email address in the To column, and maybe even block emails with entries in Cc. That at least stops the emails that aren't addressed specifically to you.

igr 19:11 23 Mar 2004

I have noted the comments and wish I didn't have to delete all these messages - just got another 12!

keith-236785 19:30 23 Mar 2004

igr

get yourself a free hotmail account and then whenever you sign up for FREE things or have to register to view a web site, use the hotmail address. Hotmail has its own filters and will remove a lot of spam for you. use your proper e-mail address only for important items and friends.

DO NOT REPLY to any e-mails asking to be removed from thier list or click the remove me links, it only shows them that it is a valid e-mail address. just ignore them and eventually they will slow down and maybe even stop altogether.

I also use AVG and have about 10 e-mails a day with the virus attached, i can live with that, but 86 would really annoy me.

good luck, hope you have a firewall too if you are on broadband. Zonealarm is good.

Audeal 20:37 23 Mar 2004

Also do not send e-greetings cards to others.
Also do not click on the "Send to a friend" button.
With both these options you have to input yours and other peoples e-mail addresses and therefor publishing them to the world.

igr 21:39 23 Mar 2004

I try to be 'clever' using another email address, but they caught that too. The Hotmail solution seems a good idea

User-312386 21:50 23 Mar 2004

whatever you do DO NOT try and bounce the e-mails back to the sender.

Usually when you bounce an e-mail, the time delay from being sent to you and then you resending the e-mail back will let the spammer know that your account is active

ade.h 23:44 23 Mar 2004

I must stress that I was not suggesting bouncing the messages back to the source, merely forcing your ISP to delete and discard the messages without having them download to your mail client. This option is available for each message rule and should be supported correctly by most ISPs, such as Tiscali. The same point applies to any filters at the ISP end.

tasslehoff burrfoot 00:07 24 Mar 2004

Download the above, lets you preview email before downloading them, don't use the bounce feature as you can just bounce them back to some innocent who is not aware the virus is using their pc as a host.

Also, you will probably find that it is not you with the problem, probably someone with your email address in their address book has the virus and it sending itself out without their knowledge. Get a new address and only give it to people you trust (after warning them to get an updated AV). The new address should be obscure, if a virus finds an address e.g. [email protected], it can replicate the address and replace the bit before the @ for common names. You may as well use your current address for mailing lists etc. Blocking all mail which does not have you in the to field is sound advice also.

DO NOT OPEN OR DELETE SPAM, even this can alert a spammer that your address is active.

Forum Editor 00:22 24 Mar 2004

I would be very interested to know how deleting spam can possibly alert a spammer to the fact that your address is active.

All spam should be deleted as a matter of course, and that's precisely what anti-spam applications like Mailwasher do - they preview mail on the server and delete it before it's downloaded. If some spam does get through you should delete it yourself - otherwise your inbox will be swamped with thouands of unwanted messages. There's no way that a spammer will ever know what you've done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?