virus attack

willyv 07:48 30 Apr 2009

hi all,
i am trying to help my plonker brother in law who decided to run his pc with no av or antispyware for 6 months! the probs started when he couldnt get online and a windows dancer kept appearing. i managed get him online thro safe mode and downloaded avast and spyware terminator which both hauled a fair load of rubbish. all was well but a few days later he found he was getting an error message when trying to send receive email. i did a cursory websearch and found that there known issues with blueyonder internet provider and avast. i then got him to uninstall avast and install avg. all was well for another few days until yesterday when not even windows will start up, nor can you f8 it on startup as it reverts (by the sound of it) to a blue screen command line error. the problem is further compounded by a lack of xp discs of any sort!!
is it worth getting hold of xp rescue discs or should i tell him to put it down to experience!!! thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:54 30 Apr 2009

Whats the error code on the blue screen?

willyv 16:35 01 May 2009

im waiting for his response on this. meanwhile could anyone recommend some xp rescue software that i could download and burn, and take round to boot his machine from. free would be good! ta

willyv 18:28 01 May 2009

the error message is
STOP: c0000135 {unable to locate component}
This application has failed to start because bsenlsc32 was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
please help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:16 01 May 2009

0xC0000135: UNABLE_TO_LOCATE_DLL
Windows attempted to load a DLL file and encountered some error condition. Among the many possible causes are that the file is missing or damaged, or that there is Registry corruption.

* Blue Screen STOP Message C0000135 Appears at Startup {KB 173309} Win NT 3.51, 4.0
* Damaged Registry Repair & Recovery in Windows XP {KB 318159} Win XP

It sounds like it needs a repair install

or even a clean install.

your going to have to borrow a XP CD of the same type (home 0r pro or media centre) and use his serial number off his machine can be us for the clean install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?