Virus Alert keeps coming to my inbox-why?

Kooji 18:53 30 Apr 2007

Help folks,

I keep receiving this message(please see below). It arrives every few minutes. What do I have to do with it, is it something nasty, how do I stop it? Idiot proof answer much appreciated.

Thanks all, from Kooji
VIRUS ALERT

Our content checker found
virus: Worm.Sober-1

in an email to you from unknown sender:
[email protected]
claiming to be: [email protected]>

Our internal reference code for your message is 27798-10/1U2QiZCiiTWT

First upstream SMTP client IP address: [66.125.47.102]
adsl-66-125-47-102.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net
According to a 'Received:' trace, the message originated at: [66.125.47.102],
imshq.com (adsl-66-125-47-102.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net [66.125.47.102])

Return-Path: [email protected]>
Message-ID: [email protected]>
Subject: Your Updated Password!
The message has been quarantined as: virus-1U2QiZCiiTWT

Please contact your system administrator for details.

Kate B 18:55 30 Apr 2007

Just bin it - it's spam. And while you're at it, run scans of your machine with your AV and antimalware just in case the email itself carries a payload.

Kooji 19:12 30 Apr 2007

Kate B Thanks for such a prompt response. I have put the message into deleted items and permanently deleted it from there. Do I now just run a full Virus Scan etc?

EARLR 19:16 30 Apr 2007

And soon.

STREETWORK 19:17 30 Apr 2007

The IP traces to north America. Never reply to this type of email, just do as Kate B says and delete it without opening it.

What Anti Virus software do you have installed, ie, norton, AVG, etc...

Kate B 19:22 30 Apr 2007

yup, scan with your up-to-date antivirus software and I'd also do scans with Windows Defender, Spybot, Adaware and A Squared just to make sure there isn't something nasty lurking in that email.

Kooji 19:49 30 Apr 2007

Thanks to you all for your advice. I am using Norton Antivirus. Can you please tell me what Windows defender and Spybot Adware and A Squared are and how do I access those. Idiot proof answers please guys. And Kate B of course!!

Kate B 19:54 30 Apr 2007

Are you running Vista? If so, Windows Defender is part of Windows - just type Windows Defender into the start search. Otherwise click here

Spybot click here
Adaware click here
A Squared click here

They're all free.

Kooji 21:20 30 Apr 2007

Thanks for your help Kate B. I am running the prog's you have recommended. Can you advise please, 1. How often should I run these prog's i.e weekly, monthly ? 2. Also are they usually run together or one at a time?

Many Thanks

Kooji

Kate B 22:12 30 Apr 2007

One at a time, and I run them about once a month, though others run them more often.

p;3 22:18 30 Apr 2007

and use this

click here

and try an on line scan t from

click here

all protection programs should be updated as often as you go on line and run ,if concerned, daily

try this too

click here

for checking mails on server before they get to your comp

suugest you run all suggested scans on DEEP full scan after completely updating them

trend may take a while to load on its first run; it is an on line scan and is safe to run as it does not install itself on your comp

see what that lot produces?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?