Virus alert on Google.

rdave13 18:15 25 Mar 2008

This is a new one on me. Using IE 7 was googling for a nintendo ds. As soon as the Google page opened Avast came up with a virus/worm warning found in 3W's dsgaming couk/file. Sign of VBS. malware-gen. Now I hadn't opened any of the sites listed on the page and link scanner showed all the sites as being ok. The above url wasn't even listed. Clicking on 'abort connection' on Avast and closing the page the warning went.
Tried the google page using AOL browser and nothing, no warnings. Is this a false positive or is the page 'infected' on IE7.
Running a virus scan now and so far nothing showing.

rdave13 15:46 26 Mar 2008

Ran full AV scan and clear. This is a screen shot of what happened again today; click here .
Just wondering if this is a new way to get malware on your PC? Avast shows the URL as a malware file ready to download. Haven't come across this before and wondered if anyone has any thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

mfletch 16:05 26 Mar 2008

Delete all temp Internet files and cookies see if that stops it,

Coffee Adict 16:13 26 Mar 2008

Just tried same search as you as I'm using Avast and IE7 with no problems, could be as mfletch suggests its pulling info from your cache from yesterday.

rdave13 16:17 26 Mar 2008

Thanks mfletch. Deleted temp files and cookies but still the same. Warning came up three times until I closed the page. Nothing on AOL or the Opera browser. I also run the paid for version of SAS and no warning from that.

rdave13 16:31 26 Mar 2008

Coffee Adict, thanks for that. It comes up on my laptop and the desktop. Seems I'll have to trudge through some manual scans.

rdave13 18:56 26 Mar 2008

Well I think I've found out why. It's a combination of IE7, Avast and link scanner. Did some manual scans but all clean. So went back to the page but this time scrolled down a bit. Lo and behold the URL was there and link scanner showed the grey question mark. Seems that Avast and link scanner work together somehow; click here .
At least I now know what's happening and in future won't panic so much. Thanks for your replies.

mfletch 19:06 26 Mar 2008

Thanks for letting us know,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?