virus?

silverdragon41 19:12 19 Feb 2010

Something odd just happened. I had a warning that my Windows Security Centre Firewall and Malware protection was Off. I closed it incase it was a scam, and went to the Security Centre on my own. It showed it was all Off. I tried turning it back on, but it said I had to Purchase Vista Antivirus 2010. I didnt.

I done a system restore to a few days ago and now its back On.

I have AVG free version for Main protection and scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware every day. Also have Advanced SystemCare Free version that i scan with every couple of weeks.

I must have a virus on my comp that these programs can not find?

MAJ 19:18 19 Feb 2010

It's a rogue antivirus program, the system restore helped, luckily for you it didn't disable system restore, they usually do, as well as disabling your antivirus and antispyware programs. Update mbam and run a full scan with it if it appears that your PC is okay in a few hours, if all is clear delete your restore points, then reactivate system restore to create a new clean restore point.

rawprawn 19:18 19 Feb 2010

Try running this online scan
click here

silverdragon41 19:21 19 Feb 2010

Thx. will update and run Malwarebytes scan now

MAJ 19:29 19 Feb 2010

You can also check to see if has left any files behind by checking this link click here (bottom of the page).

silverdragon41 02:30 20 Feb 2010

ok, avg and MBAM found nothing. will delete old restore point and make new one. will have to do the rest after weekend as I am moving house tomorrow lol.

robin_x 04:20 20 Feb 2010

Lots of complaints/advice/solutions on 3 or 4 threads over last week or so in Digital Spy Forum.

click here

Summary is use Malwarebytes. as you plan.

Conjecture is it comes from a rogue advert.

Use Firefox with Adblock+ add-on.

Input Overload 08:45 20 Feb 2010

silverdragon41, I don't envy you moving house, at some point pop into your local & have a quick pint. It saved the day for me last time I moved. Happy moving.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?