Virus

Deniset 08:00 10 Nov 2006

I am getting numerous returned emails from postmasters. The to line says something like xyx then the rest of my email address. I have Ad Aware (which quarantined a Win32 Trojan downloader). Also have AVG and Mincrosoft Defender. I have downloaded the vcleaner from AVG but need to restart in safe mode, how do I do this? and how do I return the computer to automatic start? Also will I need to turn off Systems Restore

birdface 10:18 10 Nov 2006

Safe Mode, When you start computer , just keep tapping the F8 Button, That gets you in, You get out the way you normally turn your computer off,

TonyM 10:49 10 Nov 2006

Don't panic - Do a scan to check but it is almost certain the messages are not being sent from your machine or by any virus activity on your machine. The way it works is your email address will have been picked up by the spammers from somewhere like a mailing list, or someone else's address book on an insecure machine. They then use your email address in the "from" details on their spam to try and make the message appear more realistic. It is known as spoofing and there is nothing much you can do about it. As the spammers use other peoples details you should find the problem gradually improves.

Deniset 12:18 10 Nov 2006

Thanks very much for this useful information

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone