Virtual Router for PC

MichaelF 13:34 07 Nov 2007

I have had my PC for a couple of years and have nevered bothered with the wireless facilities but I have now bought a "Soundbridge Homemusic" wireless player that i want to set up.
The PC has a 802.11g 54 meg pci wifi wireless system. Network connections show it as "not connected".
How do I connect it?
I have lost all the instruction manuals if I ever had them. The only bit of hardware I seem to have is a small antenna that I have plugged into the appropriate connector at the back.
Windows tells me to make certain the wifi switch is on.Where is that?
The PC is supposed to act as a virtual router, how do I set that up?
I am running Windows XP, service pack 2. A Pentium 4 cpu running at 3.4ghz with 1.00 gb of ram.

Help please

Michael

mgmcc 14:20 07 Nov 2007

<<<< Network connections show it as "not connected". >>>>

This is simply indicating that the Wireless Network Adapter isn't connected to a wireless network or other wireless device. Use the adapter's software to scan for "Available Wireless Networks", select the one you want to connect to and click the Connect button.

I don't know what a "Soundbridge Homemusic" wireless player is, but you may have to set up an "Ad Hoc" wireless network between it and the PC. This is a network in which the two devices communicate directly, rather than via a Wireless Access Point as is the case when using a Router.

woodchip 14:25 07 Nov 2007

You need a Wireless Router modem. You cannot get use a Virtual, They do not exist

MichaelF 13:14 08 Nov 2007

Thanks fro the suggestions. I have managed to find the manual on the internet so I will try and find out what to do from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?