Virtual Memroy/Swapfile

Brian-336451 14:37 12 Sep 2007

I'm running a Dual Core Centrino with 2 Gb of RAM, my question is, do I really need a swapfile/virtual memory allocation.

Not long ago I used to run a PC with 512 Mb RAM (a lot then) and ran a swapfile of 1 Gb. Now, my RAM is more than the two added together.

The software I run has not changed that much (but I accept the OS footprint is higher).

So why, with these sizes of RAM in modern machines, are we still needing such large Virtual Memory allocations?

Thoughts/advice?

Quiller. 14:47 12 Sep 2007

" I'm running a Dual Core Centrino with 2 Gb of RAM, my question is, do I really need a swapfile/virtual memory allocation."

No. Turn it off.

" So why, with these sizes of RAM in modern machines, are we still needing such large Virtual Memory allocations? "

Some applications, like adobe photoshop etc refuse to work if they cannot write to virtual memory.

holme 15:34 12 Sep 2007

" ...with 2 Gb of RAM, my question is, do I really need a swapfile/virtual memory allocation"

It depends /entirely/ on the likelihood of your exceeding the installed RAM limits. For example, the most memory-hungry jobs are generally acknowledged to be large-file video editing, transcoding and disc burning, where the underlying file can easily be well over 1GB.

In those circs, Virtual Memory is undoubtedly a Good Thing to have up your sleeve. If you turn page file off, I'm not sure what happens if you were to overspill 2GB RAM; a hang-up and an error message I guess?

But if you're not into that sort of thing, then you may never use the swapfile. But why bother changing it? Unless your hard disc is extraordinarily small, it probably won't ever notice a 1GB swapfile.

Quiller. 15:49 12 Sep 2007

" But why bother changing it? "

because you may find that your applications load and operate more quickly.

thats with XP, with Vista forget it;-) you need all the help you can get.lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?