Virtual Memory Settings

reece1705 16:24 18 Nov 2006

I know that this has probably been addressed in the forums before so i apologise for asking, but is there a recomended amount of Vitual memory per mb of RAM memory. for example would it be best to have 512mb virtual memory if you have 512mb of Ram.

wotbus@ 16:26 18 Nov 2006

I think the normal VM setting 3 x RAM - auto setting in XP.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 18 Nov 2006

Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

wotbus@ 16:31 18 Nov 2006

"How big should the page file be?
There is a great deal of myth surrounding this question. Two big fallacies are:
* The file should be a fixed size so that it does not get fragmented, with minimum and maximum set the same
* The file should be 2.5 times the size of RAM (or some other multiple)"
Just read this here click here but I am sure I have read a contradiction somewhere else.

reece1705 16:53 18 Nov 2006

Thanks for the help guys.

johnem 18:22 18 Nov 2006

Usefull info, thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?