Virtual memory set too high

FRED10 20:44 30 Mar 2005

Hi there
I am using a PC with Windows ME and after a careless tweak when specifying my own 'Virtual memory' size, I have made the minimum and the maximum sizes too big . . . so much so, that the Windows O/S is unable to load and an error message appears, informing me that there is insufficient space for the 'Swap file'.

Luckily this PC is configured to be a dual-boot system and the other system on it is OK. It would therefore possible to see the drive containg the ailing O/S and (hopefully) make some corrective tweaks, if only I knew what they were.
Can anyone help?
Regards C G Eastwood

JonnyTub 20:51 30 Mar 2005

virtual ram is standardly (a word?) set to 1.5 times the physical amount of ram you have.

As for setting that from a dual boot system ???????

Is it not possible to start the pc using last known good config or safe mode, it's been a long time since i used me so i'm not even sure these options are open to you.

Sorry i couldn't offer more advice.

lotvic 22:28 30 Mar 2005

this may be worth a try:

bootup with other o/s and move from the problem drive all your (my docs) data files to a different partition/drive. Thereby making more room on that hard drive for your 'too big' swap file. If you can move enough stuff then there will be room for the swap file and it should be able to load up okay.

lotvic 22:47 30 Mar 2005

and if that doesn't work, try this for how to do a system restore for ME

click here enter Q279736 in the search box

"To start the System Restore tool when you cannot start your Windows Me-based computer normally or in Safe mode, you can temporarily change the Windows shell from Explorer.exe to Progman.exe: "

bluesbrother 22:54 30 Mar 2005

You could try to 'over' install ME. You will have to download some updates but everything else should be ok.

woodchip 23:02 30 Mar 2005

Can you get in by safe mode start comp and keep tapping F5 then right click my computer/Prefs if it's like Win98se. Failing that just rerun setup over it's self by going into BIOS and set computer to boot from CD as first or second boot device and the third should be IDE start with WinME CD

bluesbrother 23:08 30 Mar 2005

From Win ME Help

To start Windows in safe mode

Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
Click Restart, click OK, and then press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu appears.
On some computers, you can use F8 instead of CTRL to bring up the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu.

Enter the number for Safe mode, and then press ENTER.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?