Virtual Memory problem, what should settings be?

erkmatrix 10:26 23 Jul 2009

Hi I'm still having some problems with my new setup of Photoshop. I am running a 64bit Windows XP machine with 6GB of memory. I have a Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB split into 2 partitions one for the operating system and 1 allocating for photoshop scratch disk

I was in photoshop working with a large file and it seemed to be struggling and said I was low on virtual memory and it was in the process of increasing it.

What is the recommended setting for my virtual memory for having 6gb please, I was hoping I'd have enough with 6gb, will I need to buy more.

current settings are
E-drive My 64bit operating system is on -
Minimum 2046
Maximum 4092

Scratch disk
minimum 9214
maximum 9214

If anyone could advise that would be great.

Cheers
Philip

Graphicool1 10:53 23 Jul 2009

Your 'Virtual Memory' also known as the 'Page File'. Should be set to 1.5 (one and a half times) the size of the 'RAM'. So if you have 2GB RAM it should be set as 3GB.

You can also see what applications are using your RAM.
On the 'Desktop' Right click the 'Task Bar'
Select 'Task Manager'
Click the 'View'
Click 'Select Columns'
Click the box next to 'Virtual Memory Size' then click OK
Click the 'Processes' tab
The last column on the right will now be 'VM size' If you run your eye down that list you will see what programmes are using most of the 'VM'

When I'm using art software I know how much VM they use. So I close down those applications when working on art projects.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?