Virtual Memory & PC not shutting down

Pinklady1967 14:41 26 Jun 2006

Over the weekend my computer started to run very slowly, freezing a couple of times too. A box came up saying "virtual memory low", then when I shut the computer down, it would not actually switch off so I had to physically flick the switch on the wall myself. Could the two problems be related and, if so, any ideas what could resolve the problems please?

I have McAphee anti-virus, Ad-aware and Windows Defence spyware programmes, all of which are up to date and have not found any problems.

Devil Fish 14:53 26 Jun 2006

win xp right click my computer click propeties then the advanced tab under performance options click settings then advanced tab down the bottom click change the change the initial size to the same as the maximum size

the symptoms you are experiencing is usually caused by windows adjusting the size for you

with the above instructions this should solve this for you

Devil Fish 14:56 26 Jun 2006

sorry might help to add

it is your paging file we are adjusting this is memory set aside by windows on your hard drive to go into if you dop not have sufficient ram available for the process you are running

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?