Virtual Memory is low on my Desktop

julius44 19:39 13 Aug 2008

Hello, message appeared on my desktop about 20 mins ago, that my virtual memory is low. I know how to configure it..from reading online, BUT, when i go to the intial and mazimum settings...both boxes are Blank, and i do not know how much to increase my virtual memory to. I have a Pentium 4 desktop running windows XP, SP3, and i have 2Gb of RAM memory..so i just need figures for the minimum and maximum boxes.....i think its meant to be in megabytes. so i just need approximate figures please, thanks

MAT ALAN 19:45 13 Aug 2008

set max and min to 2000Mb, see what happens...

DieSse 20:00 13 Aug 2008

For most users, the "system managed size" is fine.

You should have a look in Task Manager at how many processes you typically have running. In excess of 50 is generally considered too many. Some think many less is appropriate.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:03 13 Aug 2008

Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?