virtual memory

elbecko 07:56 08 Jul 2007

i just got a message which said that my virtual memory minimum is low.
is that a very important thing?
how can i add more?
what is it that uses the memory up?

thanks a lot.

User-1159794 08:21 08 Jul 2007
  mgmcc 08:27 08 Jul 2007

The "Virtual Memory" is the Swap File or Page File - a section of the hard drive that Windows uses to augment the PC's RAM when it needs more memory than the RAM provides. Lower priority processing is temporarily transferred to the Page File. This happens in all PCs but your Page File setting may be too low or you have insufficient free space on the hard drive.

Right click "My Computer", select Properties and then the Advanced tab. In the top "Performance" section, click the Settings button. In the Performance Options box that opens, select the Advanced tab and in the Virtual Memory section at the bottom, click the Change button.

The recommendation always used to be an initial size of 1½ times the PC's RAM and a maximum of 3 times, but with very large amounts of RAM in a PC, this can become excessive. Try using the "System Managed Size" option.

cream. 08:58 08 Jul 2007

Might be best to check if you have the necessary disk space available on your hard drive first.

Open my computer and hover your cursor over the C drive. What figures does it give for used and free space? Also do you have and other drive letters listed in hard disk drives.

elbecko 09:04 08 Jul 2007

thanks very much for your help, really appreciate it.
i did everything you mentioned and i've changed it.

prior to the change it read:
initial size 756
max size 1512
what were those two like, WERE they too small?

cheers.

mgmcc 09:08 08 Jul 2007

Those would have been about right for a PC with 512MB of RAM installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?