Virtual Memory

450223 12:27 30 Jun 2006

Please don't blind me with the science of it all!
I have a Notebook which I have installed 1.5 GHZ of ram memory (I do a lot of graphical work, pictures and creating advert in CorelDraw etc,). Under performance options, advanced, change it says:- Custom size initial 2046 max 4092
Total Paging:- min 2mb, recommended 2302, currently 2046. These setting were recommended to me by the local computer store. But when I am working in Corel a message box keeps popping up saying something about Memory 3069 freespace. Can someone suggest what I should do please.
Please don't blind me with the science of it all!

Marsh Warden © ™ 13:12 30 Jun 2006

There is a school of thought that says a fixed amount of 2.5 x RAM, in your case 3750 mb of virtual memory is optimal. This is achieved by changing the min & max in VM options to 3750, okaying out an rebooting.

Personally I have always allowed Windows to have a dynamic page file (using\taking what it wants, when it wants it) and have never experienced any problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:20 30 Jun 2006

How much room do you have left on the hardrive / partion windows is on?

My computer -Click on c:\ check free space.

Mr Mistoffelees 13:28 30 Jun 2006

Using a fixed size pagefile is thought by many to help reduce fragmentation and thus reduce the need for time consuming defragmenting. It can also help performance if you keep the pagefile small, as Windows will then make less use of it and more use of, much faster, ram. I have 2GB of ram and run a fixed 512MB pagefile and it all works very nicely. You can, if you want, try running with no pagefile, this can produce a big improvement in program loading times, but you may also get the problem of a program refusing to run properly with no pagefile. I tried it myself, the performance increase was clear but I did eventually have a problem and went back to a small pagefile.

450223 06:41 01 Jul 2006

Re Marsh Warden, i'll try setting Min & Max to 3750, incidently I did let Windows set the original numbers, but still had problems (but did'nt write down what they were). Many thanks.

Re Fruit Bat I have 26.6 GB of free space.

Re Mr Mistoffelees, you say you run 512Mb with 2GB of ram, are you suggesting 512mb less 25% for me to try=384MB?

Mr Mistoffelees 09:52 01 Jul 2006

I would suggest you try 512MB and see how well it works for you.

BigRik 14:39 01 Jul 2006

I recently purchased a book, The Tweakguides Tweaking Companion (by Koroush Ghazi). The following are quotes from page 78, Recommended Pagefile Size:

"Set the Initial and Maximum pagefile sizes to 2560MB each - i.e. allocate 2.5GB for the pagefile."

"This may seem like quite a lot, but the reason for this is that recent games now require a lot more real and virtual memory to function correctly, even if you have 2GB of RAM. Having a larger pagefile size does not hurt performance as such; it only takes up a bit of additional disk space."

"Note that the common advice about the pagefile being 1.5 x RAM or some other multiple is not intuitively correct. Consider the situation where you only have 128MB of RAM: setting the maximum pagefile size to 1.5 x 128MB = a 192MB pagefile, which when combined with your 128MB of RAM gives Windows only 320MB of total available memory for Windows XP which is obviously not anywhere near enough memory for modern games and applications. In effect it is about how much TOTAL MEMORY (RAM + Pagefile) that should be made available for Windows to operate efficiently."

I hope you find this useful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?