Virtual drives-removal

caesar 19:31 16 Apr 2004

I ran some software in a stand-alone situation which mimiced network based identical programs. This loaded several virtual drives.
I don't need the stuff anymore and have uninstalled all the programs. However, somewhere in my start-up set-up is the establishing of these virtual drives. They start at G: and I have D: and E: for DVD-ROM and CD-RW. I use a card reader which wants to be F:, G: and H:, so I would like to permanently get rid of them.

Currently I have to remove them each time I boot if I want to use the card reader...either using the freebee "vdc" or SUBST from the command prompt.

Help pleaase.!!!

Valvegrid 19:41 16 Apr 2004

If you go to Start Run and type msconfig and see if they are in either Autoexec.bat or Config.sys if they are tick them and re-boot.

Valvegrid 19:44 16 Apr 2004

Or remove the ticks, sorry, wrong way round :-)

caesar 10:06 17 Apr 2004

I'm on XP Home...
msconfig gives various tabs, boot.ini etc but I can't find config.sys or autoexec. Do they exist in XP?

Valvegrid 18:23 17 Apr 2004

Probably not, this will put your posting to the top of the list in case someone else can answer.

caesar 12:35 24 Apr 2004

thanks again..........I'll leave it open for a while in case anyone reads and can help......

mgmcc 13:10 24 Apr 2004

Right click "My Computer" and select Manage. In the "Storage > Disk Management" section you may be able to delete the unwanted Virtual Drives.

If not, you might be able to allocate a different drive letter to them, such as X, Y, Z, and use TweakUI to "hide" those drive letters so they're safely out of the way.

caesar 13:38 24 Apr 2004

Thanks for response.........
The virtual drives show in Explorer, but don't show via the Manage-->Storage-->Disk Management route you suggested..
I'll try TweakIt
Thanks...........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone