Virtual Drive Win98SE

saxman 17:00 23 Nov 2007

I am trying to load Win98SE onto a virtual drive which is running on my PC with WinXP Pro as the O/S. as discussed in PCadvisor Pg 139 in the Dec issue. As I recall this CD does not run on bootup you must bootup to the A drive and run the setup on the CD from the DOS O/S loaded. I have put the CD and floppy in the appropriate drives and I receive a message saying that it requires a 1.4M floppy in the A drive which of course it has.
Can anyone please advise me on how to continue.
This is the first time I have tried to do this op. and I dont seem able to progress

rossgolf 17:04 23 Nov 2007

well when i tried to re install windows a couple of weeks ago i tried to use a windows 98se boot flopy then i was told it wouldnt work becuase my hard drive is over 40gb's (or20). are you tryin to put windows 98 onto it and overrite xp?

brundle 17:20 23 Nov 2007

98SE comes on a bootable CDROM, no need for boot floppies.

pk46 17:29 23 Nov 2007

The boot sector in the bios must be set to first boot floppy you must also format the drive and create a DOS partition and make it active i should point out use NO MORE THAN 512MG with W98 or it will lock up i never went above 384MG.
You will have MOBO driver problems if your computer is new as there is no support for this OS,i run W98 on my 8 year old HP Brio.

pk46 17:32 23 Nov 2007

Hard drive in my old Brio is 80GB thats the max i would use with W98.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:34 23 Nov 2007

just run setup from the CD and point the (* install to the virtual PC.

saxman 17:33 07 Dec 2007

I have given up on windows98 so I have tried to install Linux instead. All seems to be well until I get 'Virtual machine error (13)'message on screen. What does this mean ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?