Virgin router or other?

snowy30 14:42 26 Feb 2009

Should I buy a wireless router from Virgin, or will I be better off with a router of another make?

I enquired about the cost of their router earlier today and they said it would cost £40 for one of their routers and an extra £20 for the dongle as my laptop is not fitted with a wireless facility.

I enquired because somebody said the router is free or something...........?

bremner 15:03 26 Feb 2009

click here and you can see a free router comes with each package. That may be only for new customers as I have been with them for donkeys years on 20Mb and never been offered a free router.

mgmcc 17:27 26 Feb 2009

You don't say if you have Virgin's *CABLE* service or their *ADSL* service but, assuming Cable, you should be able to pick up a wireless "Cable/DSL" router and USB WiFi adapter for much less than £60!

For example, at PC World, this D-Link bundle click here= for £40.

birdface 17:55 26 Feb 2009

Only new customers get it free.How old is your laptop.maybe if you give the make and model someone will be able to give you better information.

Strawballs 01:26 27 Feb 2009
  snowy30 14:45 27 Feb 2009

I can't remember how old the laptop is but it's quite basic. I bought it second hand off somebody in the family.

snowy30 14:47 27 Feb 2009

I'm on a 2MB broadband service with Virgin using an external NTL modem.

Higher88 15:53 27 Feb 2009

I can highly recommend the virgin wireless router it is super fast and a doddle to set up. I upgraded from the 2mb to 10mb service for an extra £7 a month and the router comes free. The wireless dongle is limited to about 2mb but if you are only on 2mb service probably won't matter.

Dipso 00:59 28 Feb 2009

Are you aware that your 2MB service is shortly (May) to be upgraded to 10MB free of charge?

I bought an "ex-Virgin" wireless router off Ebay for my folks recently for £15 plus p&p, some of them are brand new, worth checking out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?