Virgin media, webstar dpx100, need a wired router

TianRunty 13:53 29 Oct 2007

Ok for a few years we have been using a Sitecom DC-202v5 router and we've had quite a few problems with it dropping out etc and settin it up for use with the games we play and the other programs meant that i was bald from pulling my hair out. Well it finally gave up yesterday, it now just sits there with its little status light flashing.
So i need another router, preferably one that won't make me bald and one that won't need resetting all the time to get the connection back AND will actually work with the Webstar DPX100 modem that was supplied to us all those years ago. Oh and i'd prefer a wired connection or one that does both wired and wireless....not wanting much huh?
So if anyone has any suggestions I would be eternally greatful!

Ashrich 20:31 29 Oct 2007

There are plenty of wired/wireless routers out there on the market , D-Link , Netgear and Linksys to name but three , it really comes down to personal choice cost and reliability . Belkin may be having firmware problems at the moment , there seem to be lots of people posting on forums having problems with them so for now I'd steer clear ( my opinion only ) The best availability seems to be from Netgear , plenty of companies sell them , and lots of people use them on this forum , so if you did have any setting up hassles you can always ask here again . Cable modems need to bind to a MAC address of the hardware they connect to , so in order to use another router you need to power down your Webstar DPX100 for at least 5 minutes before connecting it to a new router , then power it back up , power up the new router , and lastly the PC setting things up for access , the Webstar will then bind it self to the new kit and all will work properly .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?