Virgin Media I guess they must be right

pj123 16:08 14 May 2007

Following on from this thread:

click here

I just tried a download from the PCA Download site. 15.1Mb. Downloaded at 482KB/Sec and took 31 seconds. I also tried a download from vixy.net of a 6Mb file. Downloaded at 9.8KB/Sec and took 27 minutes.

I still can't get any sort of download speed from Nero which, I would have thought, was a reputable site.

Is the amount of people (in the world) all downloading at the same time?

bluto1 20:46 14 May 2007

I`m taking up the argument with Virgin Media tomorrow morning. Yesterday I downloaded a 23.7 MB programme and it took 29 min 32 secs. I`m paying for `up -to` 8m connection speed, but the download speed is abysmal. Lets hope we get something for our money soon.

birdface 21:22 14 May 2007

Hi,Thought you might like to browse through this,Or even join,I think there are a few with the same problem as yourself,It looks as though some folk are already on the 20Mb. click here

pj123 17:30 23 May 2007

I am still talking with Virgin about why most of my download transfer rates are around 8-10KB/Secs.

What I don't understand is why I can get a transfer rate of 387KB/Sec (almost 4mb) from Microsoft site. 284KB/Sec (3mb) from the PCA site and just tried the Seagate site to update my Maxblast 4 to Maxblast 5 and got a transfer rate of 208KB/Sec (2mb and that was a 101mb file), but every other site I try I get something like 8.7KB/Sec.

Nero, for example, transfers at around 8.7 - 9.2KB/Sec for Package 1 update for Nero 6 (34mbs)

Virgin keeps telling me that it is the site I am downloading from that is at fault, not them.

I am paying £25 pm for a 4mb BB connection but I might as well be on a PAYG dialup connection (which is faster than 8.7KB/Sec) and probably works out cheaper too.

fitshase 17:53 23 May 2007

It will only ever be as fast as the slowest connection.

During peak times, sites such as Nero may be slower due to the traffic and bandwidth of their webservers.

Microsoft spends millions on their servers and connections to give people a good download speed.

However, saying that - I've just gone to the Nero site and started downloading the Nero 7 Premium Reloaded trial (171MB) and it started at 150kb/sec and has dropped to 90kb/sec and seems to be keeping steady.

I'm on ADSL (Freedom 2 Surf) 8Mbit connection.

Tribal-Wolf 17:54 23 May 2007

I have the Virgin 10meg service and get from a good newsleecher site 9.4meg. Nero is a slow site for me but I cant blame virgin, I think their internet is second to none. I am moving to Hull soon so I will be stuck with Karoo which is all you can get there and I know from friends of mine its a load of garbage.

Stuartli 18:06 23 May 2007

I have TalkTalk "up to 8MB" and use FreshDownload.

Downloads, depending on the website, are up to 800kbps but some, such as the Realtek site, can be excruciatingly slow; previously, on a 2MB connection, downloads were up to around 240kbps.

Downloads are also slower if the Firefox download manager comes into play.

pj123 15:22 25 May 2007

Things are looking up!

Just tried some of my usual downloads and they are now coming in at around 265KB/Sec (2.5mb?)
for a 4mb connection. If it stays like that I won't be unhappy.

Sometimes it is so slow that I feel like picking up the modem and giving it good shake.

polish 15:37 25 May 2007

i ran the seagate hdd utility because iam having a few niggles with pc and it reported a bad sector but repaired it.i was wondering if this means the hdd is getting ready to be replaced or is not much of a problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?