Virgin media and Belkin-please help!!!

littlemissstrong 17:18 14 Oct 2007

Are virgin media and a belkin 54g 7632 compatible?? According to virgin they are and according to belkin they are not? however i don;t know if they're just trying to make us buy a new one!! i can't find anything on the internet about them not being compatible. the router has worked for months with BT broadband, changed to virgin on fri and it now doesn't work!! is there anything u have to do to the router when u change isp?? presume this may have been in the virgin media welcome pack....which hasn;t come due to the postal strike!!! please help!!

jaritch 17:40 14 Oct 2007

I use a Belkin 54g router with virgin media, don't know the model number though. I remember when I bought it there were directions at PC World as to which one to buy as the Belkin router with modem was not suitable. I suspect this might be the one you have being with BT Broadband. Cable is different and I think you have to use the modem supplied.

My router is connected to the Virgin Media Modem.

I am of course open to correction.

mgmcc 22:18 14 Oct 2007

Your router appears to be a combined "Router & ADSL Modem".

It will work with Virgin's ADSL broadband service via the phone line, but is is *not* suitable for Virgin's Cable broadband.

SouthernComfort 09:38 15 Oct 2007

You need a standard broadband router with cable.
I have the Linksys WRT54G.
DON'T use install software.
Connect router to modem and turn on router.
Connect PC to router and turn on PC.

Bob

tullie 10:24 15 Oct 2007

Dont Vigin supply a suitable router when you join them?

littlemissstrong 20:29 16 Oct 2007

thank you all so much for your help!! no think u pay extra for a virgin broadband router, well we didn;t get given one anyway. managed to swindle a router off my dad which didn;t have a combined modem and is all working ok now!! thanks again!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?