Virgin Cable and D-Link DIR-635 Router

Nigel-Leicester 22:36 29 Dec 2008

I'm trying to instal this wireless router. The quick instal gets to the section "we are now checking your internet status" and then gets the message "Problem occurred when accessing the Internet. Please contact your ISP for support".

I think I've made all the correct connections (to judge by the lights on the router), but I cannot access the internet on my PC while it is configured in this way, let alone use it wirelessly to make other connections. The router is identifiable on a neraby wireless laptop, but is not active.

I've no great confidence in getting help from Virgin, so I'd appreciate any help here. I don't think the problem is with D-Link. I have a ntl/virgin cable modem and run Home XP.

brundle 22:48 29 Dec 2008

Unplug everything, router and modem for 30 seconds. Switch on/plug in modem, wait one minute, switch on/plug in router, wait one more minute. Try the internet.

zarobian 16:56 30 Dec 2008

On your main computer which is connected to your router log on to click here enter username as admin and leave the password blank.
from the window displayed, select wireless. enter your SSID,Chanel 6 or 11.You may leave it on outo.Security WPA/WPA2.Enter your 8 character password. Confirm and click apply.
Now go to your laptop and try to connect to your wireless.You will be asked for security type and password. Enter as appropriate.

daverw1966 20:09 05 Jan 2009

I have exactly the same problem. Did you get a fix?

I have the same router and ISP and I had the same problem as you Nigel. I never had to use the install disc in the end I just logged into the router like Zarobian is suggesting and everything is working now.

Have you managed to get it sorted now?

Nigel-Leicester 16:52 10 Jan 2009

Thanks for the advice. Afraid I haven't resolved it. I have followed zarobian and steve105's advice as far as I could but don't think I know my SSID or how to identify it. I do know my IP address - not the same thing, is it?

Nigel-Leicester 17:37 10 Jan 2009

PS On the assumption that the SSID was something I assigned myself, I did that (when following zarobian), but it didn't then give me the option of chosing the channel or a password. I then completed the process but there was still no internet connection on the PC. Indeed, I get the 'a network cable is unplugged' message.

Using the disc provided with the router, I do get the choice of channel, password etc, but, as I said initially, there is still no connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone