virgin cable - anyone know how it works?

Bailey08787 14:19 12 Apr 2007

i popped my postcode into the virgin postcode checker, and it came back with 'great news, you're in a cable area'

great i thought.

i began the online application process and when it came to the address details section i entered my postcode.

It came back to me with my street name, but not my street number (it had 302, 306, 308 - i'm 310)

I called them up, expecting to be told that as my neighbours are there, i would be added - but apparently its not that straightforward.

They said they would need to send out their spotter team to see if I could receive the service, and that would take 10 days :-(

Furthermore, she told me that whilst 306 was 'service available', 302 was 'service unavailable'. So its by no means a clear-cut thing, and the way my luck has been going the past few months (already tried to get sky and tiscali tv - virgin my 3rd choice), i doubt i'll be able to get it (despite living in central london).

Anybody had any experience of this 'spotting process'? and if so, did it take 10 days?

thanks

Stuartli 14:26 12 Apr 2007

Presuming it's the old Ntl/Telewest cabling, I'm surprised if you can't get a service.

We've been (Telewest) cabled for many years and, although I have never used the company, quite a few neighbours have its broadband, TV and phone services.

Regularly see an engineer working on the green Telewest boxes's cabling to set up new services for neighbours.

Bailey08787 14:57 12 Apr 2007

I'm on the top floor of a block of flats (only 3 levels though) - do cable companies tend to have an issue with heights?

pj123 15:11 12 Apr 2007

Agree with Stuartli. I am on NTL (virgin) cable for TV, Telephone and Broadband. NTLs green box is right outside my house.

As for an "issue with heights" I wouldn't have thought so. If you have the cable running past your property it should not be a problem to supply you.

candun 17:42 12 Apr 2007

Suggest you have a look at the local installations as it's usually an external cable run, accessing the flat through a drilled hole, so height could be an issue. Virgin Media will be hungry for connections though so keep calling them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?