Virgin Cable

Les 22:35 02 Aug 2007

Does anyone have the 'up to 20meg' Broadband from the above and what actual speeds are achieved. Thinking of swapping from BT and advice apreciated

kane_2001 22:41 02 Aug 2007

I have the 20Meg connection ans as of yet havent been above 10Meg speed. According to Virgin customer services, the service is currently not running to full speed in all areas, if you phone them tomorrow ( 1503 ) from a virgin phoneline, they will reimburse you until they can guarantee the full speed in your area

Les 23:44 02 Aug 2007

Thanks for that kane_2001. I know that there is a difference in the cost to what I'm paying now but it's value for money that concerns me more. Would you say that the jump to even 10 megs is worth the shift to Virgin?

ianeon 05:09 03 Aug 2007

Good morning - I signed up for the 20meg broadband and to-date I have never had more than 7meg and for most of the time I never get more than 3-4meg. I shall try "1503" as suggested by KANE_2001. As a normal home user I am starting to think that anything above 10meg isn't much good to me. Watch this space for update !!

Les 11:28 03 Aug 2007

Together with other posts on the subject I am beginning to get the impression that the 20 meg promise is perhaps a gimmick to attract attention initially and to get more money eventually. I see that Virgin too use Indian Call centres - anyone having used one will know what a trial that is. It appears though that you can ask for a UK Call Centre. I've yet to see a good report on this cable service and have no intention of pursuing a change in ISP in view of this.

Thanks to both, you've probably saved me some cash!

jakimo 11:38 03 Aug 2007

Theres a strong possibility that Virgin media may change ownership ,the American company Carlyle are said to be making a bid this month,so changes could be in the pipeline

Les 12:10 03 Aug 2007

No doubt that, if successful, Carlyle will introduce their own 'improvements' - for good or not remains to be seen. Meanwhile, my contract for BT is due for renewal in 1 month - to misquote 'To re-sign or not to re-sign - that is the question'. My dissatisfaction with BT grows with each day. Reason?
A sudden drop in speed from 2.7/3.3 megs to .9 meg - phone calls to an Indian call centre, language problem, managed a call to an UK one (courtesy of a forum member), no language problem - speed came back up to 4.25 megs. Very pleased with this. however this has proved so far as to be short lived, the speed has fallen over the last two days and, at present, is 2.2 meg. I understand that it does fluctuate for a few days so I live in hope that the drop in speed doesn't continue but rise instead.

VoG II 12:24 03 Aug 2007

I'm currently getting 16-18 meg on the 20 meg service and I'm very happy with it.

Josie29 12:35 03 Aug 2007

i use virgin for all three services, TV, PHONE and BROADBAND and i can honestly say that as soon as my contract is up then i will be changing. my broadband has gone down on numerous occasions and the helpline is of little help. when they finaly decided to send an engineer i had to wait for 8 days. so i would say if you are not happy with the service you have then give virgin a wide berth.

Les 12:51 03 Aug 2007

Fantastic VoG™ - but look at Josie29 's post. Conflicting views - but, as you always have some good and some bad, in the end, it is your decision. Thanks to both of you - it is, as you know, appreciated.

aquatarkus 13:12 03 Aug 2007

On the Virgin 20mb service works like a charm getting between 16 to 18meg downloads same as VoG,. Have been with Telewest for about 6 years now and can count on one hand the number of problems i've had with them.
If your in a cabled area can't recommend highly enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?