Virgin broadband connection & Belkin wireless card

griffle 16:21 28 Aug 2007

Please help!

I am trying to connect my laptop to my flatmate's Virgin broadband connection using a Belkin wireless card. It is refusing to connect unless I request 'work offline' then 'connect', and then I can only access Googlemail. Every other website is denied!!! Virgin Media have been useless and said that I need to buy a wireless card that they 'work with'...tosh according to everyone I've asked!

Please help, I need to be connected!!

:)

griffle 16:27 28 Aug 2007

I should also say that the card is obviously receiving as it is showing good strength and a connection to my flatmate's account...I'm being hopeless I know but people have tried to help and they're stuck too...

:(

Fellsider 17:07 28 Aug 2007

...by a reliable source, that the big providers (e.g. Virgin) are only allowing you to connect further equipment by dealing with them directly, for security reasons.

They would need to know the mac address of the additional PC/laptop.

Having said that they should be able to 'see' it if you connect it and then phone their support line and tell them that you want it added to your network.

griffle 17:20 28 Aug 2007

...it seems that they're not going to be that helpful...they insisted I call their sales department to get a different wireless card...do you think that's necessary?

^wave^ 17:29 28 Aug 2007

if you can get to one site then you should get to others check youe fire wall and the security of the router turn them off and try

griffle 19:04 28 Aug 2007

...will have a bash at that and be back on here if it doesn't sort it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?