Virgin BB Set top box - Belkin Modem Router

cedric24 00:38 26 Nov 2007

I currently subscribe to Virgin Media for telephone, tv and BB. I have purchased a Belkin Modem Router N1 MIMO.
The set-up guide keeps talking about a modem. I don't have a modem, I only have a set top box. (Is it not the case that nowadays all pcs have integrated modems?)
Also: my pc is upstairs in a study. The set top box and wall jack (telephone point?) are downstairs in the front room. (I have a pc and a laptop. Sometimes I have students in the house who would also wish to connect to the internet...)
What do I have to do now? I am really lost and confused.
Any help / advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

mgmcc 07:47 26 Nov 2007

When the instructions refer to the "Modem", this means the "Cable Modem", which in your case is integrated into the "Set-top Box". It should have an ethernet port to connect a computer or the WAN port of a "Cable/DSL Router".

The initial configuration of the Router should be performed by connecting a computer to it by ethernet cable, *NOT WIRELESSLY*.

Power everything off, including the Cable Modem (Set-top Box) which must be left without power for three or four minutes - this is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

Connect a network cable between the router's WAN port and the Cable Modem's Ethernet port. Connect a second network cable between the PC's network port and one of the Router's LAN ports. Power on the Cable Modem and, when fully booted with all lights displayed, power on the Router. When the router is fully up and running, boot the PC. The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate a different IP address to it.

If you now type the Router's IP address into your web browser (192.168.2.1 for a Belkin Router) you should be able to open its configuration pages to set it up for wireless networking. You do not need to be connected to the internet to access the router's configuration pages from your web browser.

As far as connecting to the ISP is concerned, "Cable" uses the very basic setting to connect and get its addresses by DHCP. It doesn't use PPPoE and you don't enter a Username/Password. The actual description varies from router to router so if you need further help with this setting, post back with the router's options.

mgmcc 07:49 26 Nov 2007

It doesn't matter which computer is used to set up the Router, so it is probably easier for you to use your laptop.

cedric24 08:45 26 Nov 2007

I will try this this evening. Does this mean that I did not purchase the wrong modem router? I came across some stuff such as 'cable modem router' and 'ADSL'. This N1 Mimo seems to be an ADSL router??? which I read on another thread that it does not work with set top boxes... Could you clarify this for me?
Many thanks.

mgmcc 11:41 26 Nov 2007

You require a stand-alone "Cable/DSL Router" and that is how it will be described on the box.

A *combined* "Router & ADSL Modem" is NOT SUITABLE for use with Cable broadband via a Set-top Box.

Suitable "Cable/DSL Routers" - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone