vinyl ac '97 codec combo drive (wdm)

sprakky 19:58 23 Sep 2005

Please help!- I think i have deleted something by mistake.
When i start my pc i get the found new hardware assistant , it then states " VINYL AC 97 CODEC COMBO DRIVE (WDM) - INSTALLATION DISC IS NEEDED
when i put the cd in nothing happens - it then asks for a path - which is there- i click ok but nothing happens.
I cannot get any sound out of my pc when i put in a cd i get "cannot play because of problem with sound device.
I am on xp.
I am also a complete novice - please help!!!
thanks

PC Bilbo 22:17 23 Sep 2005

Have you got a restore point just prior to when you think you deleted something in error?If so, try a system restore.

As you say your a "novice" Click on START > All PROGAMS > Accesories > SYSTEM TOOLS and you will find SYSTEM RESTORE.Alternatively click on START and then HELP and SUPPORT and click on " Undo changes to Windows with SYSTEM RESTORE"

You will not lose any documents or e-mails

If this doesn't work

PC Bilbo 22:22 23 Sep 2005

Sorry heavy fingered again!

You will not lose documents or e-mail restoring to an earlier time but any programmes you installed after the restore date will disappear and you will need to reinstall those.

Try that first as it will be simplest way.If no joy let us know and we can guide through reinstalling driver via Device Manager.

sprakky 19:58 26 Sep 2005

PC BILBO many thanks for this sugestion - i tried it and when my pc rebooted it is still as above

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires