Views on my site - please

The Paul 08:33 02 Aug 2003

le - but let me know what you think.

What I wanted was a simple site which got the basic message across so that the visitor would complete all, or part, of the form.

How does it fair? click here
Cheers - Paul

The Paul 08:35 02 Aug 2003

The text is missing.

It started off by saying "please be gentle - but let me know what you think". Not sure what went wrong. Me - no doubt.

Forum Editor 09:22 02 Aug 2003

has a lot going for it, and I hope it's a great success.

The site needs a few tweaks - in my opinion - before it will work for you in the way it should, but you knew I would say that didn't you?

1. I'm not usually in favour of frames sites - tables work better,look better, and allow you more control over content.

2. The background blue is a little too intense for my liking - have you tried a paler tone?

4. Times New Roman is certainly web-friendly, and will display properly in every browser known to man, but it has a slightly 'old hat' feel about it. Why not see what the text looks like in say, Verdana? I think you'll like the difference .......and try a different colour. Navy blue on a pale blue ground looks great, or if you must use a darkish blue, go for white text.

5. I'm not quite sure why you have included underlined words in Upper case, and in a different colour in the text. At first sight they look like hyperlinks, but they're not. Better to leave them out - they are distracting.

6. If you are asking people to provide you with their personal information you MUST include a privacy statement (saying how you will protect the data) in a prominent position near the place where the data is requested - i.e. on the same page as the form. If you don't have the space on the form page (and most people don't) you should provide a hyperlink to a separate privacy page. This is a better way of doing it anyway, and you can include a sentence "Before submitting this form please read our privacy statement". The words "read our privacy statment" can be hyperlinked to the privacy page. This is very important.

7. A nitpicking point, but the words 'send me' on a form submission button aren't really appropriate - they could be confusing to some people (send me what?), and pretty well everyone is used to seeing 'submit' on a form button.

Otherwise, there are a few typos and grammatical errors which spoil the readbility of the text, but you can easily polish them up.

Please don't feel discouraged in any way - your site is good, but it could be much better if you spend a little more time on it. I think it takes a fair bit of courage to expose your efforts to all and sundry in the forum like this, but it's probably better to iron out the wrinkles amongst friends than have potential customers spot the problems.

The Paul 18:32 02 Aug 2003

Discouraged - not at all. I asked for views, I was certain that you would respond and I'm now getting amongst the best professional advice available, for FREE. Thanks for taking the time to respond and for your considered and well thought out response.

I have printed out what you have said and will spend the next few days going over your comments in greater detail. I'll let you know how I get on.

It took 2 weeks to construct and 4 to build up the courage to post it as a thread. Should have done it long before now.

Cheers - Paul

Baloki_ 19:22 02 Aug 2003

Although your site is very nice at the minute and the tips offered will be very helpful to you may I suggest a minor ajustment to your current site, I recommend you use Iframes and ccs.

An Iframe is just a frame that can be placed anywhere on a page and can be resized and customised to fit in with your website.

CCS (also know as cascading style scripts) can allow you to change any aspect of anything, they allow you to exactly position a table, picture, iframe, etc or change font-size, style, weight and other variables.

These may help you and many website editors (such as Acehtml Freeware) provide editors for these special options. I hope this helps and also instead of removing the blue background or making it lighter why not just offset it with a background picture. If you need some ideas of what to do try looking at my personal site and use any code off it you feel nessary, the address is click here I hope the helps and enjoy it, k.

watchful 21:02 02 Aug 2003

Just viewed your site and, although not an expert at all, the first thing I found a bit glaring was the yellow text on dark blue. As mentioned by the FE I think dark blue on a light blue background would be more easy on the eye.

Also, as it is mainly a Property site I expected there to be a link on the left to Property but there wasn't.

Otherwise, with a little improvement, it should finish up very good.

Forum Editor 23:12 02 Aug 2003

CCS stands for Cascading Style Sheets - not cascading style scripts.

CCS are used to make global changes to a web site - to change all the body text font point size for instance. This method allows you to make changes very rapidly, instead of having to change each page or section separately the changes CASCADE to all pages at once.

The Paul 09:41 03 Aug 2003

I've spent some time this morning making some changes to the site. mainly the Font and the underlining issues raised by FE.

I'm grateful to you all for all the comments and I am pleased that you have taken the time to look at the site and let me have your views.

What is clear, is that while I may have Dreamweaver MX, which I think is a great tool, a little knowledge is not such a smart thing. For example, I have a problem trying to figure out what Tables are and how to construct them. CSS nearly frightens me and the tutorials havent helped me too much to understand them. This is my problem not the tutorial.

The blues comes from the colour schemes that we have used from the outset and are now on our stationary. I will try to tone them down a slight amount but we do wish to have blues as backgrounds. Does the blues actually kill the effect and message from the site or are they a slight distraction?

Now I'm off to research TABLES, IFRAMES AND CSS. Thanks again folks. Paul

Forum Editor 12:33 03 Aug 2003

of controlling page content, and I recommend that you get to grips with them. In a table you can control the positioning of text and images very easily - it's a simple matter to add new cells, rows, and columns, or to sub-divide existing ones.

CSS isn't as as complex as it sounds, and makes it easy to apply global changes to the site.

The blue colour isn't going to stop the world in its orbit - if you have to use it then use it, but you could always keep a reminder of it by using a paler background and having the intense blue in horizontal lines, as dividers, say.

The site is beginning to look better already (I've just checked it again), but could I suggest that you go for a smaller point size on the homepage? It jumps out at you a bit, and perhaps a subtle change to say, 10 pt might look better. There should be a question mark at the end of the first line of text by the way, and the readability will be improved if you remove the word 'then' from the second sentence.

Now, (said he, warming to his subject) I know that you probably spent a lot of time making those buttons with the image on them, but I personally think they let you down. The professional look would be very much enhanced by some conventional buttons with plain text on them - perhaps a navy blue button with white text?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?