Viewing YouTube

manrow 21:23 16 Feb 2008

I recently tried watching YouTube video clips, but they always seem to stop after a few seconds for re-buffering.

Is this the fault of my download speed on broadband or my processor's speed?

citadel 22:01 16 Feb 2008

broadband speed.

merciarich 22:09 16 Feb 2008

One of Youtube's servers is a constant problem for me.....

Most videos run fine but this particular server always stops every few seconds for buffering

It would most likely be Youtubes end, but certainly wouldnt be linked to your processor speed

manrow 22:11 16 Feb 2008

Is it possible to download the complete clip before viewing?

MAJ 22:28 16 Feb 2008

Yes, use Save2PC. click here

manrow 22:38 16 Feb 2008

If broadband speed is the problem, can someone tell me a site that will measure it please?

MAJ 22:40 16 Feb 2008

click here or click here there are loads of others about as well.

rdave13 22:41 16 Feb 2008

One thing I've found is that if you get a particular youtube video that takes an age to stream then copy url and close the browser. Re-open the browser and paste url then it will stream fine. Just my thpoughts but must be something to do with temp files or ISP's butting in to curb downloads. Who knows?

manrow 10:26 17 Feb 2008

My test shows 342kbs both up and download using Sky, which sounds incredibly slow.

Checking with Broadband Genie suggests up to 8MB is available; have I just chosen the wrong supplier?

igk 13:34 17 Feb 2008

"have I just chosen the wrong supplier?"
In a word yes I have had dealings with most ISP's and although people moan about them you cannot beat BT.
Also Youtube can be very slow at peak times (USA of course)just look at the numbers of people on the Youtube stats that are logged on.
I use RealPlayer to download clips no problems.
Hope this helps.

manrow 20:50 28 Feb 2008

Thanks igk; RealPlayer was a route I had not thought of!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?