Viewing images in Thunderbird

phil 18:43 24 Aug 2008

I've just installed Thunderbird after having countless problems with Outlook.

I'm pleased with it so far but I do miss the ability to view an email the way it was sent. How do I turn plain text off so that I can see images in emails from Ebay, AMG Music etc.

BTW. I've already tried VIEW > MESSSAGE BODY AS > HTML, SIMPLE HTML and PLAIN TEXT and that didn't work.

DieSse 20:20 24 Aug 2008

Message body as Original HTML is the setting for seeing it as you want.

As far as I'm aware this is all there is - my messages display as HTML with that setting.

Are these new messages, or imported ones, or both?

phil 20:57 24 Aug 2008

They were all imported from Outlook and at first I could see the images/layout.

I had to activate the link that asked me if I wanted to view images and then I ok'd the warning.

The images showed up but next time I opened Tbird I couldn't see them.

Is this a quirk with it that once you've opened the email it doesn't keep the format but defaults to plain text?

brundle 21:00 24 Aug 2008

You have to add the address(es) to your address book. It's a bit daft as you end up with loads of `newsletter` and non-reply entries in there...

DieSse 00:28 25 Aug 2008

"Is this a quirk with it that once you've opened the email it doesn't keep the format but defaults to plain text?"

No.

"You have to add the address(es) to your address book."

I don't think so - I get lots of HTML spam that displays correctly.

brundle 00:29 25 Aug 2008

I mean, if the mail is not spam and you want to see the images. Perhaps mine's just set up differently.

DieSse 00:48 25 Aug 2008

Forget - there is another setting for non-local images - ie images that aren't embedded in the mail, but are obtained from the web on the fly.

Read here click here

brundle 00:50 25 Aug 2008

That's it precisely, I was looking for an extension to solve the problem only this evening, thanks. I hope that's the answer for `phil` too.

phil 11:11 25 Aug 2008

Thanks both.

I've looked at that page that DieSse mentioned and done what it all suggests. Just got to wait for an appropriate email now.

I did try to forward one of the older emails but it had lost the formatting and arrived back to me as plain text again.

When I get one I'll report back.

phil 15:29 26 Aug 2008

Yes it worked.

Had some emails today that needed images showing and they did. Just remember to make sure you have the MESSAGE BODY AS ORIGINAL HTML

Might be an idea to pass this onto the magazine editors for inclusion seeing as it affects the new version of TBird and a lot of readers might be wondering where their images have gone to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?